Proseries and automation

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
CPA83  
After seeing that GruntWorx does not offer a return population service for Intuit's ProSeries, I figured I would ask here if there are any ways to streamline my firm's prcocesses while still employing ProSeries.

I am looking for a way that all source documents can be entered into the software by a third-party without wasting precious time and man-power.

Frankly  
Yeah, it can be done, with a lot of boo-boos. Whatever time saved will be spent fixing the errors. This stuff is not yet ready for prime time.

CPA83  
Kinda what I thought. I know larger firms are doing it.............

zl28  
ProSeries does have the ability to scan w2 and some 1099's through their Intuit Link Portal

CPA83  
True. But is it truly a time saver or do the mistakes incurred in the process effectively turn it into a wash time-wise?

ATSMAN  
Gruntworks has its own weaknesses and if your expectation is a direct input without correction you will be disappointed.

With 1099-B, I have been using the summary figures (Short Term and Long term) and then attaching the summary pages (and individual transactions if it is not too long) as a PDF with the return. So far it has worked 100% of the time. I don't think IRS is interested in the granular detail of each security transaction as long as the summary totals match or reasonably close.

ATSMAN wrote:Gruntworks has its own weaknesses and if your expectation is a direct input without correction you will be disappointed.

With 1099-B, I have been using the summary figures (Short Term and Long term) and then attaching the summary pages (and individual transactions if it is not too long) as a PDF with the return. So far it has worked 100% of the time. I don't think IRS is interested in the granular detail of each security transaction as long as the summary totals match or reasonably close.

Right or wrong.... I’ve stopped attaching the detail. Years ago.

These days covered securities with no adjustments can be put directly on the Schedule D, which is what I do when possible.

When I have had detail, in the old days where you mailed the detail with the 8453 to a PO box that (for all I knew) was attached to a dumpster, I usually didn't send it in. Nowadays since it can easily be attached as a PDF, and that I know that it's actually a part of the return being filed, I'm more willing to go that route. It might be irrational, it might be a waste of time, but it's what I do.

makbo  
+1

Most of the time now, the direct entry on Schedule D (no 8949) is the way to go (especially if you just ignore wash sale adjustments of, say, $10 or less). Attaching a PDF when needed is hardly any trouble, just a few minutes of work.

Return to Business Operations and Development