How to e-file 941/940 forms?

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
FLAcct  
I want to start e-filing my clients' 941/940 forms. I have had an EFIN for many years and have the software to e-file the forms. Here are my questions:

1) I have prepared 8655 forms for each of my clients and they have been signed. I know that I can fax or mail these forms to the IRS along with a Reporting Agent's List. What happens once the IRS records the 8655 forms? Do they send me some kind of acknowledgment so I will know when this has been completed?

2) I know that I need a Reporting Agent 5 digit PIN in order to e-file the forms. Is this PIN different from my ERO Practitioner 5 digit PIN??? If so, how do I get the Reporting Agent PIN?

Thanks for your help.

Gjkycpa  
I am not sure, but you raise a good point. We had all clients sign 8655's last year, for several reasons. However, I was not aware you could efile 941's after that. I assume there is no fees involved. We use 1099-ETC payroll program and the fee is $5.49 for each 941 filed online. We only do it on a couple clients, because we were hoping to find a free 941 online option.

Derby  
Had to figure this out this year and I think I got it right now. The Reporting Agent PIN is a separate PIN you will receive from the IRS. Takes 6 weeks or so for the IRS to process your 8655s, so do this well in advance of the filing deadline. In a pinch, you can use your ERO and a signed 8879-EMP to file the return instead.

I use Drake Accounting to file these. It handles the PIN application as well. See their http://kb.drakesoftware.com/Site/Browse/94X-PIN-Applications-Reporting-Agent-PIN-CWU.

Return to Business Operations and Development