CFE designation

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
philly  
Has anyone taken the exam to become a CFE (Certified Fraud Examiner) and included fraud examinations in their practice ?

I have my CFE.

I have some attorney contacts that call me up (or someone else in the firm that they know) for litigation support or forensic accounting issues, but it's few and far between. If anyone has had heaps of success marketing for and acquiring these types of engagements, I'd be interested in hearing how they pulled it off. In my experience, it's been a case of "who you know."

If you like getting into the nitty-gritty of details and controls testing, and are comfortable with the possibility of subject interviews and court testimony (if it gets to that - all my cases have settled, except one time I had to testify to a grand jury about details of my testing on an embezzlement case), then the work is good work. It's hourly work, at good rates.

Word of advice learned the hard way - get a retainer. I worked for partners A and B, thinking partner C ripped off the partnership. Part of the settlement was C would buy A and B out and take over the business. Now my bill was his to pay, and you can guess which of his payables ended up aging the most.

Have you found any good resources on this issue? I can't believe I'm the only CFE here...

Return to Business Operations and Development