VOIP Systems?

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Hey All,

I hope you're having a good fall busy season.

During my lunch break today I was investigating VOIP business options, particularly Vonage Business, as it's very likely I'll upgrade my phone capabilities as one of my winter projects. I like what I saw with Vonage Business. Does anyone use Vonage or have other VOIP providers?

I have a checklist of features I'd like, but the main ones at this point are:

--Automated receptionist on main line. Direct lines for individuals.
--Ability to host conference calls. No less than 5 lines at once not including mine.
--Ability to have my cell phone rightring simultaneously with my direct line.
--Unlimited calls to lines in the continental US (really prefer the entire US -- Hawaii too). Ability to make international calls for a per minute charge. Ability to receive international calls.

I've been using 8x8 for about 6 months now and I'm mostly happy with them. I don't use some of the features on your list but I think it's capable of all that. I really like that it turns my cell phone into another extension of my work line and can use the app for calls, text, and voice mail. Only complaints are that the Mac app doesn't work quite right, and the calls drop sometimes when I use the desk phone they gave me. I don't have that problem with the cell phone app so I just use that even when I'm in the office.

edit to add: This is the 6-month view...it took some time to get running because I was trying to use the Mac app regularly. The support is sporadic, done through the website with lags between replies day to day. I could see that being a problem if there were issues with a bigger installation.

RingCentral, no doubt. Their customer support is also top notch. Not the cheapest, but by far the best set of features. It is more enterprise grade as far as what you get, though they market to small business.

I looked at alternatives, tried them out, and went back to RingCentral. The alternatives all had weaknesses or missing functionality that RingCentral provides without any issue.

I have my mobile app, softphone app on my PC (primarily use this when at my desk), and physical phone. All set to ring simultaneously. I like that I can open up the RingCentral App on my phone and call out using whichever number I choose, and NOT ever reveal my actual cell number. Also like the texting function, since I do text with clients. Again, I do not want to give out my cell #.

Will definitely look into both. Thanks for your input.

smtcpa  
We also use RingCentral but I am surprised by the comment that customer support is top-notch. I actually think it sucks as is usually takes us 2 days to get an answer on anything. Also, and this may be in the setup but the app teends to randomly ring calls through the phone app. Some come through even though I have it disabled. Aside from that, call quality is great and you can configure it anyway you want.

We are switching (I think) to Ooma. Pricing is much better and there is no annual contract.

CornerstoneCPA wrote:RingCentral, no doubt. Their customer support is also top notch. Not the cheapest, but by far the best set of features. It is more enterprise grade as far as what you get, though they market to small business.

I looked at alternatives, tried them out, and went back to RingCentral. The alternatives all had weaknesses or missing functionality that RingCentral provides without any issue.

I have my mobile app, softphone app on my PC (primarily use this when at my desk), and physical phone. All set to ring simultaneously. I like that I can open up the RingCentral App on my phone and call out using whichever number I choose, and NOT ever reveal my actual cell number. Also like the texting function, since I do text with clients. Again, I do not want to give out my cell #.

Support had been excellent for me when I wrote that post. Now, I am having an issue and it is not quite the level I had come to expect.

I saw Oooma requires a hardware piece. I personally do not like that for VOIP. RingCentral is a bit expensive, but it truly is cloud...you just need internet, not any actual hardware (except physical phones, if desired).

Return to Business Operations and Development