Opinion: NAEA Worth it?

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
National Association of Enrolled Agents

I get my CPE elsewhere, I don't go to the meetings, and I don't care for the emails/magazines. I also don't feel like any political action that they provide is effective.

Am I being a bad citizen by not renewing? My spider sense is telling me I'm a lousy person for not writing them a check this year and thus not standing behind my group.

ItDepends wrote:Am I being a bad citizen by not renewing? My spider sense is telling me I'm a lousy person for not writing them a check this year and thus not standing behind my group.

If the association is providing you no services, and that they aren't politically effective... are they really representing your group?

I'm not an EA, but I had the same considerations regarding the AICPA and my state society. I felt a little guilty at first, but every year after the guilt feels less.

Yes they are worth supporting to represent the interests of EAs at the Federal and State level. They are effective politically. In DC they have regular and extensive contacts with all the key players. See the updates in each issue of EA Journal. They also help out at the State level addressing the regular attempts by some state legislatures to curtial the ability for non CPAs to practice.

I also consider the EA Journal, FaceBook group and forum very useful for technical updates.

I am surprised you do not think the political action is ineffective. I take the opposite view. Other than that, though, the national organization does very little of value. I do find value in the state society and local chapter and, although I am only paying $50pa for the state, I consider the national dues very good value for what I get at state and local level. However, if that is not your experience I can understand why you would not wish to continue with a membership.

Return to Business Operations and Development