FAX Options

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
I just made some changes with my phone, internet, and cable. Although I told the salesman that I wanted things to remain like they were (ie, 2 lines, 3 numbers due to FAX, etc.), once the installer came I was told that my FAX would no longer work as it did before since everything was now digital and, also, I would no longer have the third number (all of this due to the fact that ringmaster is not available on digital equip). (I will discuss this with a higher up!!) In the interim, I am looking at other options, as I do have a few older clients that send me FAX's quite a bit.

I know that for a monthly fee you can have FAX's sent to your email, and can also email to a FAX machine. This would eliminate me having to get another phone line and I could get rid of the actual FAX machine. Anyone out there use this? If so, do you recommend it and what service have you had success with? Thanks!

chris  
Sounds like you are not getting great information from your provider - fax ought to be easy to add to any modern system. If that is really a dead-end then look at line2.com - I've been very happy with them for phone service, and I believe they have a fax option...probably pricey though...
Site admin and software developer for TaxProTalk.com and https://TheSiteFactory.com

Yes, I can add it if I want to add a third line, for which they would want to charge more, and I did not sign up for that! If I connect the FAX to the line I now have, it and the voicemail can interfere with each other, FAX would not come through while I'm on the phone, and I would also have to manually answer the phone to receive the FAX. My old set up gave me a separate number for my FAX and that is the way it should now be. I do intend to fight it with the provider, but in the meantime no one can send me anything! I've just been hearing about the Faxing to email and wanted to see what anyone knew about it.

I use Nextiva.com which is a virtual PBX system and it includes a separate fax number with the phone line. Faxes can be received by email or through their portal. Faxes can be sent via email or the portal. For a small fee, they provide a device so you can use a regular fax machine. They also have an app so you can use your mobile phone or computer to make and receive calls. Works great.

Taxaway  
I'd advise to avoid RingCentral (email-based fax): poor, no actually nil customer service. When you have questions, you're directed to a user forum where the customer can post questions that mostly go unanswered. Limit per fax cut down to 5MB. I'm ending my service and going to try Efax. I'd advise paying a bit more for a vanity # also.

I find email-based fax very convenient, as the documents (doc, jpg, pdf, etc.) are converted upon transmission, and incoming faxes are converted to pdfs, and you can set up notification via email, etc. Also likely all these services allow you to send via your email in addition to their web portal.

I have used faxage.com for several years with very good results--Low volume and low cost. Keep your own number etc

It looks like Nextiva is a phone service as well, which I don't need. I'm now locked into a 1 year contract with my provider. I have looked at faxage.com and it appears to be about what I need. It would be very low cost to me, as I don't receive/send a lot of faxes. At .05 per minute, it would be much less than a separate phone line. Kingfish, when you send fax, do you just scan in the sheet you need to fax and attach it to the email?

Seaside--I usually use old fax machine as I am phone plan with unlimited use....Most outbound faxes are to older clients not up on computers--yet.

Return to Business Operations and Development