Best B and W Laser Printer?

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
irc162  
Account Deactivated
My trust HP LaserJet just died....I need a new print only Black and White laser printer that works easily with Windows 10. Any recomendations?

Gjkycpa  
Using hp Laser Jet Pro M203dw. It was around $120, I think, but toner costs almost that much. Not my favorite hp (I only use hp), but it is adequate.

I'm in Gjkycpa's camp; I prefer hp printers whenever possible. I use an hp LaserJet Pro M401n. About 40 pages per minute, great quality. It's an older model, but a 400 or 500 series is great for a one man band who doesn't want a multifunction machine.

Brrothers are the best. I gave up on HP a long time ago. They frustrated me to teas when I kept getting messages like "I'm busy" or "I'm cleaning myself." especially when I really neded a return to be printed. And the toner cartridges were expensive. I just couldn't deal with them anymore and I really like my Brother printers. We have one personally and in my office. They are easy to set up, work well in a wireless setting.

Frankly  
I own both, and both have their quirks. Brother gives dire warnings about the toner cartridge running out when there is still more than half remaining. HP gives a warning when you actually notice the print fading.

HP uses a touch screen that is misaligned; to activate the
"button" you have to touch above where it indicates (or is it below, I can never remember). Sometimes you have to keep hitting it over and over before it does anything. Brother has real buttons that work.

HP doesn't do well with envelopes; they curl. Brother has a straight-through paper path; no envelope curling.

HowardS  
My HP 2015 just cranked out it 100,000th page and it's still going strong. I always use third party (cheap) toner that works as well as HP's toner for about 20% of the price. HP M404dn would be my choice as a replacement.
Retired, no salvage value.

I have a Brother HL-2240. It has one button plus an on-off switch. I have a (sort of) mobile Brother scanner that also has one button.

I went weeks with the toner light flashing. That gave me plenty of time to get another cartridge. I got maybe a hundred pages by giving the toner cartridge a shake. I am sure there is toner still in the cartridge when it stops working. However, I have never had serious degradation of print quality. I consider this to be quite valuable.

FLAcct  
I have always been very happy with HP laser printers. I am currently using an HP LaserJet Enterprise M506 (b+w) and am very happy with it. No problems with Windows 10.

Well, now I feel a little cheated. I'd replace my printer with another Brother in a heartbeat, but it does not give me a warning that it needs a new toner cartridge. I wish it did, the printed items just get lighter and I have to remember when I replaced it. I buy them three or four at a time from an internet source, much cheaper than from Office Depot. So I always have an extra on hand and it's not a problem.

philly  
I just bought an HP LaserJet M608. It is very fast and also can print double sided.

ATSMAN  
actionbsns wrote:Well, now I feel a little cheated. I'd replace my printer with another Brother in a heartbeat, but it does not give me a warning that it needs a new toner cartridge. I wish it did, the printed items just get lighter and I have to remember when I replaced it. I buy them three or four at a time from an internet source, much cheaper than from Office Depot. So I always have an extra on hand and it's not a problem.

What is the model # of your Brother Laser Printer?

I have used Brother Laser Printers for the last 10 years and all of them gave me a low toner and replace drum error message well before it stopped printing.

Another vote for Brother. I have two, one of which I bought this past March. Maintenance is non-existent and for the price they seem to be a good value.

They do give low toner warning a little early, but that gives me time to order a new toner cartridge if needed. Amazon carries all of their toner cartridges to my knowledge.

Models:

--Brother HL-2270DW. Don't know if they make this model anymore. There's probably an updated version.

--Brother MFC-L2750DW. This is the one I bought this past March. I primarily bought this one for its scanning capabilities as it can scan and duplex scan hard copies to PDF rather efficiently.

They are probably not the best for a high-volume practice, but for a sole practitioner or for use as a personal desktop printer/scanner they work just fine.

Current models that most closely resemble the HL-2270DW that I have are probably the HL-L2350DW and HL-L2370DW.

They're both $89.99 at the moment on Amazon.

Return to Business Operations and Development