Windows 10 and tax programs

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
This should probably be in a "rant" section as it is nothing more than me venting my frustration with the recent developments in the software world. I'm sure everyone by now has received the multitude of notifications from their software companies (UltraTax, TaxWise, QuickBooks, etc.) about how they will no longer work on systems running less than Windows 10 starting in January 2020.

I've tried Windows 10 over the last couple years and it is second only to Windows 95 in the list of horrible attempts at re-creating successful operating systems with supposedly better features, only to fail miserably. Unfortunately this time no one is backing down and this is being forced down our throats without even a spoonful of sugar.

Windows 2000 & NT were wonderful. Windows XP was incredibly stable and built off of these technologies but created a more user friendly environment. Windows 7 continued this trend, although there were some hardware/device/driver issues...but overall the system worked well after a bit, was easy for everyone to use, and was overall quite stable.

And now this is forced upon us. Not by Microsoft...any one of us could still use any previous versions we felt comfortable with. But by our suppliers. Our software providers which we are dependent upon have said "YOU MUST USE THIS NOW!!!". I actually considered using an emulator next year so that I could continue to run Windows 7 but make the programs think I was running Windows 10. But I capitulated and purchased a nice new Windows 10 enabled computer to start fresh, clean, and keep the providers happy. I am happy to say (not because I'm really happy but because I feel vindicated in these failures) that this operating system is about as stable as Charles Manson and is at least 12 steps back in the progress made over prior operating systems. Nothing but problems installing current software, transferring data, etc. The only thing this ridiculous environment is good for is sharing videos and pictures, and taking complete control away from the user every chance there is.

I could go on for another hour or two but I think this is enough for now. Does anyone else feel the same as I do? Have you possibly made the switch a year or two ago and felt the same way but grown used to it? I am seriously considering the emulator route again if things continue the way they've been during this transition.

Actually that is not my current experience.

Have had Windows 7 for a number of years and - yes - Lacerte - played their hand. Now it is windows 10.

In August my IT guy converted everything to Windows 10 (at my request) and Office 2019. Everything has worked like a charm and things seem much faster.

Still run Lotus when I have to, MAS90 as well as Wordperfect because not everything has been crossed over. 95% has but still working on it Wordperfect to Word. All runs fine without any issues. What I use Lotus for is going to be that way because of what I use it for.

Unfortunately, Excel won't work for the two or three spreadsheets I use in Lotus for but for 99% of everything else it's Excel and Word.

Still use my HP 5m for printing emails and Lotus (which is the only way I can get it to print) but it has been smooth sailing.

Good luck~

I wasn't thrilled about using Windows 10, but when I bought two new computers, both of them were running it. My laptop crashed just after I had installed all programs and data files, so it had a ton of senesitive information. We called about the warranty, and the voice from Phillipines said I needed to send it back to them for repair. That wasn't going to happen. My husband mucked about with it and was able to do something that at least got it to open and show a screen, then I was able to finally get it to stabilize. That all started with a black screen, which could be worse than a blue screen. I had to start all over with that computer, it's good as a back up, but I don't trust it a lot. The black screen is evidently a potential problem with Windows 10. My desk top is running just fine. My opinion of the operating system is that it should function in the background, I shouldn't have to be worrying about or thinking about it at all. The programs I'm using are what matter to me. I haven't gotten any e-mails or notifications from any of my software vendors about operating systems. I'm still using Microsoft Office 2007 for Word and for Excel - I like both those versions and I'm used to them, they don't seem to mind working in Windows 10. I wish I could go back to Wordperfect, it was a much more user friendly word processing program, but sind Word has taken over the industry, I'm afraid I would have a pretty long "remembering" curve. I gave up Lotus a really long time ago, but I did pay about $400 for my first version of it, ouch!

Dennis2  
i kind of miss the flexibility i had to run older software with XP, but windows 10 is a far better operating system. So far as lotus is concerned unless you are running a lot of macros Apache's Open Office (free) will import .wk1, .wks and .123 files. Also there is an online conversion tool at zamzar.com

Can also save the Lotus file directly as an .xls and/or .xlsx file but these are TB spreadsheets written in the 80's with very good macros and they just work much better in Lotus. Otherwise, whenever I can use Excel - it's Excel.

Have tried using these Lotus spreadsheets in Excel after converting them and it is just not the same~

Windows 10 has come along way since it was first introduced and from what I can tell (not an IT guy) is a very solid operating system.

Even have a 25+ year old dot matrix printer (Panasonic KX-P 1624) that I print out my client lists to track T/R's (11"x17" pages) and it works like a charm in Windows 10. Yes - old school but if it is not broke - why fix it.

Also have a very good IT guy that I rely on to make it all happen and keep my network running smoothly.

Neill  
I was actually a developer on Windows and worked on 2000 through to Windows 10. I really was proud of XP when we shipped. Really doesn't compare to Windows 10 though. I am not a fan of the newest interface but I am too old. I guess the kids probably like it.

ATSMAN  
Windows has come a long way since I first used Windows 3! I would say Win 10 is so far stable for my business applications. I am not sure what Microsoft has in future plans, but I hope Win 10 lasts for another couple of years with free upgrades.

I agree that the menu/interface is a bit challenging and Win XP had one of the easiest menu/interface IMHO.

smtcpa  
I've been on Windows 10 for a few years and it has worked great for me. No issues. I do have Windows 10 Pro (not the home versions). Maybe that is the issue?

ATSMAN  
I think the menu/interface between Win 10 Home and Win 10 Pro is 99% identical except for some extra features in Win 10 Pro, notably drive encryption. If the slider bard contrasts were more pronounced it may be a bit easier on the eye!

I always find it humorous how much I hated XP, and how much others loved it. I jumped on Windows 7, which was pretty good. I quickly adopted Windows 8, and did not mind it. I like Windows 10 quite a bit, and the UI did not change so dramatically that it cannot be quickly figured out (now contrast it with Server 2016, different story--hate it). My issues are rarely caused by Windows. QBD is my least stable program and it has been that way ever since v. 2012 on Windows 7.

Andrew  
Agree with Nightsnorkeler that windows 10 has been forced down to our throats. It's an enormous cost to the environment because of all the discarded computers that could still be used. I'm still on windows 7 and have contacted my IT guy to upgrade. I have one new laptop on windows 10 and I'm not happy with it. Even after reading numerous tips, I still don't have anything that resembles a desktop screen. Don't like the tiles that keep moving. Also, had to remove or disable a lot of programs and apps that otherwise record and videotape everything.
One of my computers only has 4GB. IT guy thinks it's not enough to run Win10 on it. Is anyone running Win10 on a 4GB? Has anyone tried to install Win10 themselves?

ATSMAN  
One of my computers only has 4GB. IT guy thinks it's not enough to run Win10 on it. Is anyone running Win10 on a 4GB? Has anyone tried to install Win10 themselves?

Your IT guy is correct. 4MB is the bare min. I would consider for Win 10 if all you want is e-mail access and some browsing. You could run most accounting software with 4MB unless it is heavy on memory usage. Run the taxk manager and see how much memory the application hogs.

If you want to play games or watch videos you will need at least 8MB.

Installing Win 10 is easier that previous Windows, assuming your computer is compatible. I recommend fresh install always.

I would not want any PC or Mac without at least 8 GB of RAM. I'm at the point of wanting 16GB as bare minimum.

Nightsnorkeler wrote:I could go on for another hour or two but I think this is enough for now. Does anyone else feel the same as I do?

Not at all. Windows 7 has been dead to me for almost five years! I consider it unsupported software that might have security holes in it. Windows 10 is easily the most stable version I've used which is a plus. I want the OS to keep up with the hardware, and I don't go more than 4-5 years with a PC. That's like the 175,000 mile point on a car. You could keep driving it but why?

Your mention of video and picture sharing make me wonder if you bought a PC meant for home use. I use Win10 Pro and a machine that had very little software pre-loaded. It always takes some time to download data from backup and install apps but that's mostly limited by the pipeline not the OS.

Frankly  
Lewis-H wrote:Hope this information helps!

What is "S mode" and "normal mode"?
What is the "Store"?

Frankly wrote:
Lewis-H wrote:Hope this information helps!

What is "S mode" and "normal mode"?
What is the "Store"?

S Mode is a locked down version of Windows 10 that you'll find on lower priced PCs/laptops. It only allows you to install apps from the Microsoft store and browse via Edge. Think of it as Microsoft's way of competing with Chromebooks...except that it does not do it very well.

ATSMAN  
S Mode is a locked down version of Windows 10 that you'll find on lower priced PCs/laptops. It only allows you to install apps from the Microsoft store and browse via Edge. Think of it as Microsoft's way of competing with Chromebooks...except that it does not do it very well.

IMHO people doing Tax Prep business should use Win 10 Pro version instead of other low end or obsolete versions of Windows because most professional tax software support folks will not even try to help you if you are running their software on a non supported platform. I see a lot of folks still using Win 7 ?? You are on your own!

ATSMAN wrote:
IMHO people doing Tax Prep business should use Win 10 Pro version instead of other low end or obsolete versions of Windows because most professional tax software support folks will not even try to help you if you are running their software on a non supported platform. I see a lot of folks still using Win 7 ?? You are on your own!

Agreed. Its one reason I got out of doing IT work; really grew tired of businesses using a home version of Windows when they needed Pro, and did not want to invest the small amount needed to upgrade.

You can tell a lot about the competency of a CPA firm by their technology. They immediately lose credibility with me if I see them using consumer systems.

ATSMAN  
You can tell a lot about the competency of a CPA firm by their technology. They immediately lose credibility with me if I see them using consumer systems.

I briefly did some work for another accountant because his desktop system was trashed by his kids playing video games on it after hours! Fortunately he had a backup CD and we could restore most of his work :roll:

Lesson learned, keep your kids away from your work computers.

Do we know which versions of QuickBooks Pro will not work on Windows 10? I have various clients give me their backup of QB Pro with many different versions (QB Pro 2014, QB Pro 2016, etc).

Next

Return to Business Operations and Development