Software for new newbie

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
ATSMAN  
I think after their 2012 fiasco they learned quickly to do a better job at quality control and debugging the software before general release. That year they must have lost half their user base??

novacpa  
ATSMAN wrote:I think after their 2012 fiasco they learned quickly to do a better job at quality control and debugging the software before general release. That year they must have lost half their user base??

I would agree with that - ATX lost a great deal of their long-term base - since 2012 they have built a better product.
When I view the UltraTax price list - its ala cart - not at all clear what a "start up" will pay. I've used UltraTax when I was a Tax Partner in a large Regional Firm (200 CPAs 250 staff).
Small firms can do just fine with CCH ATX or Pro Series (although PS is an intuit product and I see complaints about
customer service - no answer when you call, and it's more expensive.

makbo  
novacpa wrote:" is it a closely guarded State Secret what you pay annually for UltraTax - or will they sue you, if you tell us?" Getting desperate for a better tax product, eh?

Predictably - snarky remark by mal-bo - No not "getting desperate for a better tax product, eh?" - you were on hiatus
it was so nice not to see you.

I thought that in response to your snarky remark about "closely guarded State Secret", I would use language that you might understand. Apparently it worked.

I'm touched that you pay attention to my comings and goings. As the wise man Enzo Amore said, "hate ain’t nothin but love disguised by jealousy". I can envision your calendar with hopeful little Xs marked each day as you wondered when I might return.

The last thing I want is for people who don't like my comments to keep on coming here over and over to read them anyway. Why don't you just update your forum "friend & foe" settings and block my comments from your feed?
Last edited by makbo on 17-Dec-2019 7:21am, edited 1 time in total.

novacpa wrote:https://taxna.wolterskluwer.com/professional-tax-software/atx#packages

Either ATX has gotten a lot more expensive recently, or they're just offering more premium packages than they used to. Perhaps they belong in the ProSeries price tier. :shock:

novacpa wrote:When I view the UltraTax price list - its ala cart - not at all clear what a "start up" will pay. I've used UltraTax when I was a Tax Partner in a large Regional Firm (200 CPAs 250 staff).

Most 1040s consist of federal + 1 or 2 states + efile. If you have more than 20-25 of any state, unlimited is cheaper than per-return. So for a start-up, a one person shop, use those figures and add in the PRP license fee. Not too difficult.

If you're a larger firm, or don't want to do the math, just download the demo and in about two or three days you'll get a contact from a TR representative who would be more than happy to do some legwork for you. As wel mentioned, the TR reps are able to put together special packages. Each year after tax season my TR rep talks to me about putting together a special package for the upcoming year (usually throwing in an unlimited state and either Fixed Assets or FileCabinet) and I'm a nobody; I'm sure they could offer a lot more for a prospective new customer.

novacpa  
makbo wrote:
novacpa wrote:" is it a closely guarded State Secret what you pay annually for UltraTax - or will they sue you, if you tell us?" Getting desperate for a better tax product, eh?

Predictably - snarky remark by mal-bo - No not "getting desperate for a better tax product, eh?" - you were on hiatus
it was so nice not to see you.

I thought that in response to your snarky remark about "closely guarded State Secret", I would use language that you might understand. Apparently it worked.

I'm touched that you pay attention to my comings and goings. As the wise man Enzo Amore said, "hate ain’t nothin but love disguised by jealousy". I can envision your calendar with hopeful little Xs marked each day as you wondered when I might return.

The last thing I want is for people who don't like my comments to keep on coming here over and over to read them anyway. Why don't you just update your forum "friend & foe" settings and block my comments from your feed, and spare us all your constant whining about it?

The decorum of this Board is so much better without your comments, mal-bo. Your hiatus was too short lived, many of us CPAs were hoping it would be much longer - like forever. You provide no good advice - that I can see.
This is a better board without you. Your 3rd attempt at having a successful tax career is not happening. Just like your
first two career failures - why not try again - the 4th time, I'm sure we can made some juicy selections for you.

ATSMAN  
I agree, the quality of ATX has vastly improved since the 2012 debacle! Bulk Tax return transmitters have to go through quality control by IRS for return e-filing so unless something is really out of the order that did not get picked up in testing, most returns are accepted. The rejects come from data mismatch as you all know.

Makbo is sometimes a bit "snarky". But he is also conscientious about providing well thought out opinions based on relevant case law and current tax code and I am a little disappointed in novacpa for his comments.

I think that this site would be poorer without makbo. Just sayin'
Because on T.A. ten was the most you were allowed

Beagle  
As for the OP I've used many different programs over the years. I started with TaxAct and it's fine but not great. I do taxes for some estate lawyers who aren't comfortable doing returns anymore so I use their software. That means I've used a bunch of different programs including TaxWise, ATX, Drake, ProSeries, Intellitax (no longer exists) and it seems like there were other few others not in existence anymore.

I now use OLTPRO for my own clients and it's very solid and very affordable. It'll do almost any type of return you want. I've never had a problem with their service people when a problem develops.

The key to finding the right software for you is that it works how your brain works. Programs like Drake are wonderful but they aren't intuitive for me at all. Try demos and see what works for you.

ATSMAN  
I now use OLTPRO for my own clients and it's very solid and very affordable. It'll do almost any type of return you want. I've never had a problem with their service people when a problem develops.

A friend of mine was using OLTPRO to do trust return and it completely bombed. I had to use my tax software to prepare his trust tax return to help him out and avoid purchasing a new tax software mid season.

Has OLTPRO fixed the issues with trust returns?

Beagle  
ATSMAN wrote:

A friend of mine was using OLTPRO to do trust return and it completely bombed. I had to use my tax software to prepare his trust tax return to help him out and avoid purchasing a new tax software mid season.

Has OLTPRO fixed the issues with trust returns?

I've used OLTPRO since the 2012 meltdowns, do trust returns every year and have never had a problem.

ATSMAN  
I've used OLTPRO since the 2012 meltdowns, do trust returns every year and have never had a problem.

Have you done any Charitable Remainder Trust (CRUT) using OLTPRO? Does it process correctly?

Beagle  
I've never done a CRUT with the software. It processes all my other trusts correctly.

The software used to not support as many forms as it does now. I know on another forum a guy complained several years ago about OLTPRO not doing everything but none of his complaints applied to me. In those instances I'd use another software on a per return basis but again, never applied to me.

I do about 30 1065s each year and never have had a problem.

PreviousNext

Return to Business Operations and Development