Software for new newbie

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
shaff  
I have just registered my business for tax services, I have been searching for tax software and to be honest very confused with lots of conflicting information and reviews. I don't expect much volume this year as being new, I may be able secure some owner operator's and individuals engagements but mainly my focus would be self employed type businesses. Need some advice on software please!

ATSMAN  
Have you used any professional tax software before? If no then you may want to demo Drake and ATX because of the relative cost compared to other professional tax software.

If you will only be filing 1040 with Sch C in one state then you may also want to demo TaxAct Professional version. Last I checked the cost was around $600.

+1 to you for starting your business and +1 to ATSMAN for his recommendations.

I only have done a few relatively easy OH returns in Drake, so I can't speak to how strong their OH state software is. Definitely try at least both Drake and ATX and make sure the state software is solid!

shaff  
Thank you for the suggestions, I prepared one manual return with sch c and tested on lacerte, proseries basic and atx, I couldn't get matching output on lacerte and proseries while atx was nearly perfect. Plus I found not much of help (handholding) on either lacerte or proseries while I found Atx layout and work flow comfortable and reasonable, I will do the practice on drake Today and share my experience. In past I have prepared numerous returns on turbo tax personal and helping friends, is their any software out there similar like TurboTax?

ATSMAN  
Tax Act Professional is $675 now

https://www.taxact.com/professional/pro ... lsrc=aw.ds

ATX pay per return is $569 and their 1040 Only package is $759

https://taxna.wolterskluwer.com/profess ... E#packages

Drake is $330 for pay per return or $1595 for unlimited.

https://www.drakesoftware.com/products/ ... enew-drake

If I were starting a new business without any preference for tax prep software and money was a very big factor, I wound demo all three pronto. I have used all three of them and can tell from my experience that TaxAct is the easiest to use compared to ATX. Drake has a data screen based data entry compared to a form based data entry so it take a little bit getting used to.

IMHO All thee may workout for a new business with less than 100, 1040 returns filed in one or two states. For Multi state returns ATX and Drake are better than TaxAct in my opinion.

If you are just starting out, you might consider a couple of online options. Intuit Tax Online and, I believe, Drake Zero allow you to pay per return. The cost per return is high, but you only pay when you are ready to print a final return. Last time I checked, Drake Zero will convert you to a fully-paid plan after a certain number of returns - eighty-five sticks in my mind for some reason.

I started with Intuit Tax Online for my handful of private clients. When I got to ten clients, I switched to TaxAct. I got the basic 1040 with one state. I think it cost me a little over $300. Having acquired a practice in the summer, I bought the comprehensive TaxAct - entities and all states.

Although cost must be a consideration when you are starting out, do bear in mind that software choice will be dictated by the clientele that you hope to, and do, attract. For instance, would it be helpful to find software that does Canadian and US returns, if such a thing exists?

shaff  
Thanks ATSMAN and SumwunLost, I really appreciate sharing your experience. most of my clients would SchC and few W2's I like your suggestion of Intuit Tax online and Drake zero, I will check them out. I will try Taxact and Drake today. I dont know how many clients for this year so pay per go ( with zero or lowest upfront) would most appropriate option for me I think!

ATSMAN  
Check the software forums for comments on Drake Zero. Some people don't particularly care for it.

https://www.drakesoftware.com/products/ ... solutions/

Basically it will cost you $30 to prepare and e-file a return including state if required. So depending how you work up your pricing it may be a better solution if you are starting with 0 clients. When I first started I partnered with an older accountant so I knew that I would get a dozen or so returns right from the get go and then I worked up from there.

All the best with your tax practice. BTW you will also need some tax reference material and I recommend Taxbook to start off.

shaff  
Thank you, much appreciated!

ATSMAN wrote:
All the best with your tax practice. BTW you will also need some tax reference material and I recommend Taxbook to start off.

Agreed. Taxbook is probably replacing what I used to buy from TR Quickfinder--very similar content, at least for what I need. I thought TaxBook could be a replacement for Parker, but I suspect I am going to end up renewing my Parker subscription, too, for its interpretations/explanations of IRC.

I have used The Tax Book for years. When I opened my full-time practice in the summer, I subscribed to Parker and I am glad I did. The Tax Book is good for the quick preparation queries and for foundational reading on more complex matters, but Parker is where I go to get more in depth analysis.

shaff  
Have any one tried Sigma ez? , I just tested for schedule c, I found it easy and quite reasonable

ATSMAN  
I think they are resellers of other tax prep software like Crosslink and Taxwise. I have had bad experience dealing with resellers because "support" is very questionable and the actual software publisher will NOT deal with you directly. They will tell you to go to your reseller for all support.

shaff  
Thank you ATSMAN!

CathysTaxes  
I use Drake and I get it from Ultimate Tax Service for less than $1000. That includes all states and business returns. UTS support has been excellent.
Cathy
CathysTaxes

ATSMAN  
CathysTaxes wrote:I use Drake and I get it from Ultimate Tax Service for less than $1000. That includes all states and business returns. UTS support has been excellent.

Just curious if you get the software updates from UTS or Drake directly? I know Drake just released a pre-season version of the 2019 software.

CathysTaxes  
ATSMAN wrote:
CathysTaxes wrote:I use Drake and I get it from Ultimate Tax Service for less than $1000. That includes all states and business returns. UTS support has been excellent.

Just curious if you get the software updates from UTS or Drake directly? I know Drake just released a pre-season version of the 2019 software.

I've never really noticed. The initial download for the fed and states comes from UTS.
Cathy
CathysTaxes

ATSMAN  
CathysTaxes wrote:
ATSMAN wrote:

I've never really noticed. The initial download for the fed and states comes from UTS.

Have you received the Drake 2019 pre-release to create Organizers and Proformas? Your price is better than buying from Drake directly.

TaxCut  

Doesn't UTS have their own software. How is it that get you Drake frome them? Just curious...

shaff  
I just spoke to UTS, yes they have own software for which they market for but they do sell drake as well for $999,uts owned software price is 588 for 1040 only unlimited efile , have any used Ultimate tax software? Any experience?

Next

Return to Business Operations and Development