17.3 in laptop

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
zl28  
Looking for a fast and reliable 17.3 inch laptop.

I like to see alot of the form 1040 on the screen...so looking for a 17.3

Would anyone have a recommendation?

Dell and Lenovo are having Cyber Monday sales. Might be a good day to buy.

I bought a Dell work laptop after 4/15 this year. I stretched my budget but really like it. The solid state drive makes it extremely fast to boot up and it has a lot of processing power so it doesn't get bogged down by large files.

What's your budget?

I have run HP's for years with no issues. My son uses Lenovo with no problems.

From what I have learned minimum ram should be 8GB and 16GB may be better. I run 8GB with no issues.

As noted, today may be a good day to buy.

Might want to rethink a 17.3--they're damn big and heavy. I just switched over to a laptop and all future PCs will be laptops--15" HP Spectre. I like the build quality and performance. Cost a pretty penny, but I do not believe in buying cheap laptops. Initially had some bugs getting everything to work as I wanted, but it is now working quite well and I am happy with the 15" screen, especially when I need to be mobile and I can connect my 12" iPad as a secondary screen.

Lenovo P53 and P73 are great options, though people have been having some video output issues with them when using external monitors.

CathysTaxes  
ManVsTax wrote:Dell and Lenovo are having Cyber Monday sales. Might be a good day to buy.

I bought a Dell work laptop after 4/15 this year. I stretched my budget but really like it. The solid state drive makes it extremely fast to boot up and it has a lot of processing power so it doesn't get bogged down by large files.

What's your budget?

Good luck with Dell. They have limited quantities, which they don't tell you about, and the one I wanted was gone unless I wanted to pay $150 more then it miraculously becomes available
Cathy
CathysTaxes

zl28  
thanks for feedback - i ended up at Costco with an LG 17 inch...very light with SSD....they had $400 off.

i love the 17.3 bc i can see alot of the tax return

i hope it's a good cmptr

never owned an lg

Agree Corner - when get a cheap laptop - will regret it - i have a 17.3 acer..which is good but soooo slow

-not good for my blood pressure - the slowness :)

"the most expensive thing in the world is a bargain"

ATSMAN  
CathysTaxes wrote:
ManVsTax wrote:Dell and Lenovo are having Cyber Monday sales. Might be a good day to buy.

What's your budget?

Good luck with Dell. They have limited quantities, which they don't tell you about, and the one I wanted was gone unless I wanted to pay $150 more then it miraculously becomes available

Do you have a business account with Dell? If not get one because they will offer various discounts. If i recall correctly I got $50 off my monitor. Dell also have a refurbished store that offers good deals if you are willing to buy a off year model.

Derby  
The best thing about my 17" are screen size and keyboard size. I use a separate keyboard and mouse at the office, but the big computer is a dream when I'm working away.

zl28  
for laptops i only work with 17.3 in monitor....i have an old acer whcih is pretty good..nice keyobard....but got the lg gram 17.3" super light...works decently well....i'm not sure if it even weights a pound.

ATSMAN  
zl28 wrote:for laptops i only work with 17.3 in monitor....i have an old acer whcih is pretty good..nice keyobard....but got the lg gram 17.3" super light...works decently well....i'm not sure if it even weights a pound.

For a Laptop to carry around in my bag, I want it to fit. I am happy with your standard 14 inch laptops.

I have a docking station with a 24 inch monitor and full keyboard, when I am working at home.

Hunter  
It's all about screen resolution if you want to see the most on the screen itself. Doesn't matter how big the screen is...if it has a bad "resolution" then you'll see less on the screen's real estate. I have a MacBook with Retina display. Of course most software systems don't work with a Mac. But that's my advice...high screen resolution.

ATSMAN  
It's all about screen resolution if you want to see the most on the screen itself.

Screen resolution becomes important if you are playing videos or video games. For your average tax prep and accounting software 1600x900 or 1280 x960 that most 14 inch laptops can deliver works just fine to see the complete screen.

Hunter  
Personally I like the high screen resolution because I can get the font pretty small and split my laptop screen to show pdf source documents on one side and the prep software on the other. This is great when I'm on the go like at a coffee shop, etc. Screen resolution is highly underrated in my opinion.

ATSMAN  
I use a dual monitor setup in my office. I have never tried a split screen on a laptop!

Hunter  
It's not ideal to split screen on a laptop monitor, but I work from home, and sometimes it's nice to go to a coffee shop and mingle with the rest of society. It would be impossible with low resolution screen.

ATSMAN  
Hunter wrote:It's not ideal to split screen on a laptop monitor, but I work from home, and sometimes it's nice to go to a coffee shop and mingle with the rest of society. It would be impossible with low resolution screen.

Perhaps I misunderstood! Are you saying that you take your laptop to a public place like a coffee shop, mingle with friends and also do tax prep work there? Are you concerned about the lack of privacy?

Return to Business Operations and Development