CCH Tax Software Pricing - Negotiable?

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Hi all, I have been using CCH for many years and intend to stay with them. However, their prices are a big hit to bottom line. Has anyone had success with CCH or their own tax software company in trying to lower their price even a little bit? Thank you.

Absolutely. Our old software company was bought out by Profx about 15 years ago. The deal was supposed to be 50% off the cost for the first 5 years. Profx kept the 50% discount in place for maybe 7 or 8 years and then started lowering the discount each year. I let the first reduction go but since then I always call back. They seem to lower the discount by 10% each year and I call back and say all the other partners want to leave Profx because it is too expensive. They say no problem, we will make the change.

But the discount is now down to like 30% and we will eventually probably leave them. We are paying over $20k so I am sure we could get it cheaper.

Thanks!!

This is an issue I've struggled with as I've used ProSystemFX for many years. Their software is fantastic but their cost is becoming way too much for me. I get a 25% discount every year but that's peanuts in my opinion.

Even after that discount, CCH's cost to me for individual returns is ~$65-$70 per return. Add mailing cost, supplies, and tax-return covers and the out-of-pocket cost is easily over $90 without labor.

I've always wondered as well what % CCH will increase their discount to if you threaten leaving.

ATSMAN  
I've always wondered as well what % CCH will increase their discount to if you threaten leaving.

You can give it a try. Bump it up by 10% and see what happens??

How did you go about getting a 25% discount? Do you speak to your presonal rep or do you try to speak to as high a ranking manager as possible? Thank you

Doug M  
I get 30%. Been a long time customer. My cost per return for 1040 is less than $30 per. I buy the unlimited package for 1120S and pay as I go on 1041/1120/1065. I put the authorization charge right on the billing and pass on the non-Oregon state return charges.

Thanks Doug, but how did you get the 30%? Did you have to let them know you are considering leaving first and only then they give the discount?

I'd be curious to see how others negotiate the discount rate. I can understand how a large regional firm has some leverage.

How does a small firm or sole practitioner go about increasing a discount?

Well, Taxalmanacer, there are broad bands of software - cheap, middle of the road and premium. One might say to their current provider "I've demoed software that does much the same as yours does and its costing me X% less. They make it pretty easy to switch and I may have to...."

I advised CCH that although I prefer their software over any other that their prices are no longer affordable and I would be switching tax software. I thanked them for their service over the years. Within a few hours they offered a 30% discount.

Is the 30% on top of whatever discount you were getting already or a total of 30% from list price?

If it is the latter, what % were you getting already?

The 30% is on top of the original 20%. It definitely makes the total price more manageable.

Return to Business Operations and Development