What to put on the bottom of emails- Circular 230

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Hi everyone,

I'm busy getting ready for my first tax season.
I've seen people put Circular 230 notices on the bottom of their emails.
Is there something specific I need to put there or what?
Suggestions would be most welcome.

Also, would anyone have any suggestions for Error and Omissions Insurance?
Where to buy, how to get cheap rates.

Thanks!

JAD  
The Circ 230 thing was a requirement a while ago. It is no longer required, and in fact, I believe that one of the regulatory authorities said that we are not to use it because it could be misleading.

Insurance - Steve Vono. I've been with him for 18 yrs. http://mcgowanprofessional.com/about-us/bios/

Good luck!

LW25  
Yes, for a while, it seemed that everyone was including the notice at the bottom of every Email. The provisions of Circular 230 to which the notice related were removed from Circular 230 a few years ago. It took a while after that for people to delete the notice from their Email programs.

makbo  
JAD wrote:The Circ 230 thing was a requirement a while ago. It is no longer required, and in fact, I believe that one of the regulatory authorities said that we are not to use it because it could be misleading.

That was Karen Hawkins, former head of the OPR (which post after being vacant for an extended period is reportedly going to finally be filled early next year). However, I believe the IRS has no regulatory authority over the contents of emails from tax preparers to clients, you can put whatever you damn well please in your email, and they still can't revoke your PTIN.

You might want to include some boilerplate about not sending confidential data via email and other privacy protections. You can also put in some disclaimer about how any tax advice provided is based only on your understanding of the law and facts as of the time it was written. It won't necessarily immunize you from a client lawsuit, but it's still a useful reminder.

Return to Business Operations and Development