UltraTax (CS Thomson Reuters) cloud service outage

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
makbo  
Since I am often a cheerleader for the UltraTax software product (although not necessarily everything else in their line up), I should note for posterity a negative event. According to what I see in the user community (forum), there has been a recent bad outage for the Virtual Office version of UltraTax. This is the SaaS, or cloud-based if you will, version of the software. Instead of a complete outage, it is just outrageously slow, which in some ways is worse (because you keep on trying, thinking maybe this time you will get in).

I was not affected, as a desktop version user, but skimming through the digest of comments every day for the last few days, many people were dead in the water at what they considered a critical time of the tax season. Customer support has eventually responded in the community forum, but even then some folks were not happy how outage status updates were conveyed.

Treat this as hearsay for now, unless others more directly affected care to contribute and either confirm, correct, or elaborate on what I've posted.

Just remember this is a risk you will always have with any cloud-based service, not just one vendor's product.

ATSMAN  
That is a very real risk with any cloud-based tax prep system. If you lose internet connectivity or if the servers are slow or down you have unproductive time in your office. That is why I prefer desktop based software that is updated on a regular basis because even if I lose connectivity and can't e-file, I can at least get the input and calculation done. I faced this very issue last tax season for almost half a day.

smtcpa  
Yeah true, but desktop is not perfect either. Several years ago my server went down and I was down for two weeks. Fortunately it was not during tax season.
ATSMAN wrote:That is a very real risk with any cloud-based tax prep system. If you lose internet connectivity or if the servers are slow or down you have unproductive time in your office. That is why I prefer desktop based software that is updated on a regular basis because even if I lose connectivity and can't e-file, I can at least get the input and calculation done. I faced this very issue last tax season for almost half a day.

ATSMAN  
Yeah true, but desktop is not perfect either. Several years ago my server went down and I was down for two weeks. Fortunately it was not during tax season.

Nothing is perfect IMHO but you have to evaluate the relative risks and downtime impact to your business. In my opinion a desktop based software does mitigate some of those risks.

If your server went down it was your equipment. Did you have a backup server, if not why not? Once I have had my server power supply develop a problem and I got it fixed within a day, not 2 weeks.

makbo  
ATSMAN wrote:If your server went down it was your equipment. Did you have a backup server, if not why not?

Exactly this. With the cloud, how is it possible for me to have redundancy? I am at the mercy of the vendor, and their vendors, ad infinitum. With local (non-cloud based) equipment, I can and do maintain redundancy.

As I've noted here before, in my small solo practice, I have a notebook computer (encrypted) that I keep in sync with my main desktop (software/apps and data), so that I could run my entire business on my notebook at any time, with zero loss (or very little loss, of only the most recent updates). I have prepared, signed, been paid for, and efiled returns while on the road with no problems (not from a public network). I can also run my computer and do productive work during a power outage, using notebook battery or a standard portable generator for desktop (which I did during one of the recent weather-related power shutdowns in California). Because I do not require internet connectivity, the extent of the power outage (e.g. ISP) doesn't matter to me.

In short, I have the benefits of the cloud without the vulnerability. And instead of paying a monthly subscription, I provide my own labor to maintain backups and keep software updated.

cp_acwt  
"As I've noted here before, in my small solo practice, I have a notebook computer (encrypted) that I keep in sync with my main desktop (software/apps and data), so that I could run my entire business on my notebook at any time, with zero loss (or very little loss, of only the most recent updates)."

What software do you use to sync your two systems?

makbo  
cp_acwt wrote:What software do you use to sync your two systems?

TL;DR version: for software, I install/update the same apps on both computers, doesn't take much effort after the initial install. For data files, I use a command-line based system I've been using for decades, but if starting today, I'd use OneDrive on a scheduled (intermittent) basis. The key is to keep all your key files in a handful of well-known user-determined locations, not the default "download" or "save" location configured in the app.

Details:

For software/apps, I simply take the time to install the same versions on both machines. I always try to download the install executables and then copy them locally to each machine, so I know I am installing the same thing on each machine. (I try to do the actual install offline, if possible). Nowadays, updates on both machines are more or less automatic, so after the initial installation on a new computer, it doesn't take much work. It used to be that most software licenses also allowed two full installs (one for backup), but nowadays I have to pay for two licenses for MS Office 2019. So far all my other software (Quickbooks, last supported version of Adobe Acrobat Pro, Ultratax, browser, mail client, various utilities like SnagIt, WinZip) can be installed on two machines for my use at no extra cost.

As for data files, if I were starting today and were not a computer jockey, I'd probably use MS OneDrive (yes, a cloud service - how ironic!). The hardest part: you must have the discipline to keep all your data files (Quickbooks company files, tax data files, Word/Excel/PDF documents, etc) in a few well-known folder locations (in other words, don't just let Windows and apps save off files wherever they want to by default, and never to the desktop!!). But then, once every 1-3 days I'd sync my key data folders between the two machines using OneDrive (so the cloud dependency would be relatively short-lived, and scheduled at my convenience). I assume you could do something similar with other file sharing and storage services. A side benefit of putting, for example, all your tax client data files under a single folder tree is that you can then create an encrypted virtual hard disk (VHD) under Windows and isolate all that data offline even when your computer is up and running. Every time I sync my two computers, it also counts as a backup (so I don't have to make any other backups that day).

However in my case, for data files I am continuing practices I started back in the 1980s when I needed (wanted) to sync my work and home computers. I currently use a Microsoft "power user" (command line) tool named "robocopy". "robocopy" is a tool for copying new or updated files, and optionally deleting files on the target that have been deleted on the source. I once wrote my own version of such a tool in C language, although robocopy is certainly much more robust. For those familiar with Unix/Linux, the "rsync" program is the same type of tool.

I have a simple batch file that runs robocopy between my desktop and a shared drive on my notebook. After running my batch file, my entire Outlook calendar (.pst file), my entire Thunderbird mail store (I download all emails locally before reading and save them after except the junk mail of course), and all my documents of interest (QB and other application data files, PDF/worksheets/text documents/music files/photos) are all faithfully replicated on my notebook. I have tested it many times by actually switching my work to the notebook for an extended period, and all works as expected.

makbo  
Here is a comment from someone identified as "Product Support Lead" at Thomson Reuters (posted in the community forum hosted by Thomson Reuters, so I assume it is legit). I have not checked whether or not I am allowed to share this info publicly, so I am going to beg forgiveness if necessary rather than ask permission. After all, I brought the issue up here and I can't imagine Thomson Reuters wouldn't want their side of the story presented.

"We appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns. To be clear, based upon the information available to us, we have no reason to believe that a “hacker” caused this degradation to your service. Our technology partner is an Infrastructure as a Service provider who experienced a very unusual issue impacting its underlying network. This, in turn, caused an inadvertent impact on our Virtual Office CS® performance. We had extensively tested, and continue to test, the system before implementing it to establish that it operates satisfactorily with Virtual Office CS®. In addition, we prepared and employed various industry standard backups for system redundancy, high availability, disaster recovery, and automated scaling. In this particular case, all of our core application components were functional, but an unusual issue impacting the underlying network infrastructure of our technology partner prevented the application from receiving and responding to requests in a timely manner, which created a poor user experience for our customers. As we noted earlier, we have identified the root cause of the Virtual Office CS® service degradation and are confident that the actions we have implemented will ensure normal service performance moving forward."

ATSMAN  
Have you considered putting your data files in a large external hard drive? I have mine on a 2TB external hard drive so the same data is accessible no matter if I am using my laptop or desktop, I use MS Office for desktop applications and calendar so that is all synced. My tax software has an appointment scheduler that can export to Outlook so that is all synced.

If I am going to be travelling or making home visits (I still have a few home bound long time clients), I will put the data on a flash drive or OneDrive so that I can access it at the location.

It may not be the most efficient or hip, but being solo it has worked out for me for many years. As they say whatever works for you, go with it...

Our office uses the Virtual Office for all Thomson Reuters applications. I can confirm that their cloud was unbearably slow and useless last week. Normally it works quite well, but when it doesn't work it's ugly. This week has been much better (so far).

For data files, I use a command-line based system I've been using for decades, but if starting today, I'd use OneDrive on a scheduled (intermittent) basis

That "scheduled" part is very important. OneDrive is not recommended for QB or Outlook .PST files for this very reason.

I just upgraded to Windows 10 and figured I'd try out OneDrive. The PST files were never able to synch due to their enormous size and constant usage, and QB would tell me that the connection to the server was interrupted even though I am on a standalone machine. Was really hoping to have a continuous mirror copy of my machine rather than scheduled backups but that seems out of reach for now.

ATSMAN  
Was really hoping to have a continuous mirror copy of my machine rather than scheduled backups but that seems out of reach for now.

If your Hard Drive controller has RAID 1 capability you can achieve that. Two hard drives will mirror each other constantly.

makbo  
Nightsnorkeler wrote:That "scheduled" part is very important. OneDrive is not recommended for QB or Outlook .PST files for this very reason.

Yes, I forgot to emphasize that. Maintaining a "clone" notebook computer for me is just a special case of my overall backup approach. As has been true since the dawn of modern digital computing, "cold" backups require that all the data files be at rest, in other words before I do any kind of backup I exit and close Outlook, Quickbooks, my tax software, my mail client, etc. It's not really a problem, since most software remembers what files you recently closed and what tasks you were working on. I don't have to close programs like my browser or Adobe Acrobat as long as there are no open files that haven't been saved.

More modern hardware (as mentioned, some types of RAID), as well as sophisticated database software (e.g. Oracle) can make "hot" backups while files are open, but they rely on data journalling and other sophisticated techniques not commonly found on desktop PCs.

I’ve been keeping up the TR fiasco as well. I turned down the “upgrade” to virtual office last fall and I’m glad. I have a friend who said they were basically unable to work from the 23rd through the 14th.

TR originally said it was isolated then came out and said it’s a system wide issue (Virtual Office, Onvio, and SAAS).

It only impacted our ability to use our portals (which held up portal organizers until yesterday).

There was an article released in Accounting Today about their troubles.

Return to Business Operations and Development