UltraTax

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
I'm considering a switch to Ultratax for individual tax returns only. They publish their pricing here:

https://tax.thomsonreuters.com/site/wp-content/private/pdf/cs-professional-suite/products/CS_Pricelist.pdf

I did a quick calculation of unlimited Federal 1040, unlimited one state only, unlimited e-file both, and then it would be pay-per-return for states outside the unlimited one state. When I add the three together I get ~$6,100 plus the additional PPR for states I'm estimating another $1,200 for a grand total of ~$7,300 plus sales tax.

That seems a bit high. Does UltraTax negotiate their fees or are they whatever is posted on their website?

ATSMAN  
individual tax returns only.

Have you looked at other professional tax software for individual 1040 returns? What software are you using now for 1040 returns?

You may want to look at ATX or Drake for 1040 returns. The price is fair and they do a good job IMHO.

makbo  
Taxalmancer wrote:That seems a bit high. Does UltraTax negotiate their fees or are they whatever is posted on their website?

There is a break even point between unlimited and PPR license, once you are a customer there is a simple calculator available at the CS support web site. A sales rep ought to be able to give you a rough calculation.

What I have is a "$300 PRP license for access to all other UltraTax CS federal and state products on a PRP basis", and an unlimited state license. This means I can download and run all their software (every entity, every state), but I can't print or efile without paying the PRP fee. (Needless to say, the software includes a forms preview mode, so it's not like I can't see the return, but I can't necessarily see all statements/worksheets without print privilege = PRP). So, I pay per return for each federal return, each non-resident state, and of course all entity returns fed and state. I also pay per return for efile. I pay nowhere near the numbers you are quoting but of course it depends on the size of your practice.

Out of curiosity, why are you thinking of running a separate program for individuals? Also in agreement with ATSMAN's question: what software are you currently using?

UT fees can be negotiated, and your TR representative will be willing to put together certain package deals.

I've been using ProSystemFX for individual returns only for a very long time and really like it. Great software and great support but the cost, in my opinion, is through the roof. I use ProSeries for business returns and will keep using it for that purpose but not interested in using ProSeries for individuals.

I prepare enough individual returns to make PPR not a cost-effective option but not enough returns to spread the cost effectively amongst them. I'm in the proverbial hinterlands.

I would suggest staying open to also changing your business return software, whether you ultimately choose UT or a different software. If you're open to leaving ProSeries for your business returns, and you were to go the UT route, you'd make a TR representative salivate at the possibility to upsell you.

They'll put together custom packages for you, but they LOVE to try to sell you far more than you need. Tax is still a very small part of my practice and they were wanting to sell me unlimited individuals with PRP businesses. I don't need unlimited individuals, because virtually every individual I do work for also owns at least one business, and I prepare the business return(s)!

I remain on PRP since I recoup it from my clients in their fees. But, of course it depends on just how many tax returns you prepare each year. It annoys me that unlimited may exist, but they do not transfer to subsequent year if not used (or at least that is what I recall from several vendors, including UT). Huge waste of money unless you have done the break even analysis, or do not charge clients for the fees.

CornerstoneCPA wrote:They'll put together custom packages for you, but they LOVE to try to sell you far more than you need.

That is absolutely, 100% true about TR. In this case, though, that could working out in Taxalmanacer's favor!

Great feedback, thank you. I would continue with ProSeries for business returns. The transition to whatever software I choose for individual returns will be more than I can handle in one year as it is. I'd consider going from ProSeries at some point but not for several years after the individual tax software switch.

smtcpa  
Thomson will definitely give you a deal as a new customer. I got a great 3-year deal when I left UT, went to Lacerte for a year, and came back. I think it was a 50% discount.

BUT, why would you keep the business tax package separate? Part of UT's strengths is the integration between the business returns that auto-populate to the 1040. It's a beautiful thing.

+1 to smtcpa. It's not just UT's strength being integration, but just the hassle of learning and dealing with two different software packages seems like a pain to me.

makbo  
missingdonut wrote:the hassle of learning and dealing with two different software packages seems like a pain to me.

+1

I started with ProSeries, then two years later started using UltraTax for new clients, and after a few years I had to convert the old ProSeries returns (including my own) to UltraTax to maintain my sanity.

In my case, it wasn't a 1040/entity split, it was an older/newer client split. But either way, it's not worth double the effort for updates, security, licensing fees, training on new features, etc.

Converting business returns to a new software in the same year as converting personal returns is out of the question, at least for me. It's not something I'd ever entertain. A change in the individual tax software is more than I want to handle in one year regardless of the price savings or integration benefits. A man's gotta know his limitations.

We have been using Ultratax for 3 years and yes it is pricey. But about 1/3 less than Prosystem Fx that we used for more than 20 years. I can't imagine mixing software packages from different vendors at all. In Ultratax if you ever put a taxpayer in as a partner, shareholder, employer, etc. And then put that same EIN in any return for any reason it will call up the name and address or whatever it needs for the fields. Very hand. Also K-1s done on UT can be transferred to partner returns. Some oddball items get left out but I always double check it anyway. Bottom line it is good having all returns by the same vendor.

ATSMAN  
Also K-1s done on UT can be transferred to partner returns.
[/quote

I have seen that feature in other software as well. Same with Kiddie Tax calculation linking it to the parents return.

smtcpa  
I just saw this pricing for new users: https://tax.thomsonreuters.com/en/accou ... c4sMXDPKbc

Return to Business Operations and Development