Cooling an interior office

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
So I have an interior office in a Regus center. It's fine when I have no clients, because I can leave my door ajar and it feels quite pleasant. However, when I have clients in, the door is closed for privacy and it can start to get hot.

I suppose I could get a honking great big fan that would look out of place in my enlarged closet of an office. I would rather not, though. So does anyone have ideas on how I can discreetly create a more comfortable atmosphere when the door is closed?

I did ask Google, but Google's definition of "Cool" is something I have never been.

Beagle  
They have personal air evaporator units. Not sure they actually work.

How do you like working in Regus? You have a full time office? Do you go every day?

ATSMAN  
They have personal air evaporator units. Not sure they actually work.

I have one and I can tell you that you will need the unit very close to your desk to blow the water vapors on your face to feel the difference. If it s even 6 feet away and not directly blowing at you it does not make much of a difference.

My office used to get over 75F during winter months after I closed the door because of the placement of the thermostat. I had a heating guy reposition the thermostat and that has helped a bit.

You might want to look into those portable, stand-alone A/C units, depending on your definition of discrete. Some of them are quite small.

TY all for the thoughts.

Beagle, I had big issues with Regus when I started. They tried to rip me off with services I did not need and were deliberately vague about pricing. You do not need most of the technology they sell.

I go into the office every day and it fits my budget. I pay about $628 a month for a small interior room (about 100 sf) on the outskirts of the city, but that includes unlimited tea and coffee and a private IP address. I get my office cleaned every day - important for someone with limited mobility. Clients are impressed when they walk in. I think the front desk plays an important role. Existing clients, new clients and people I know who have become clients have commented on the first impressions. Looking at their pricing plans, I do not think a virtual office with daily meeting rooms would work for me.

The main reason I took this office is that it is 200 yards from the old office of the person I acquired a practice from last summer. Oh, and it was, initially, also up the stairs from my former employer.

Beagle  
SumwunLost wrote:TY all for the thoughts.

Beagle, I had big issues with Regus when I started. They tried to rip me off with services I did not need and were deliberately vague about pricing. You do not need most of the technology they sell.

I go into the office every day and it fits my budget. I pay about $628 a month for a small interior room (about 100 sf) on the outskirts of the city, but that includes unlimited tea and coffee and a private IP address. I get my office cleaned every day - important for someone with limited mobility. Clients are impressed when they walk in.

Glad it's working for you. We have multiple options like this near my home and I'm considering it. I'm not sure the virtual office thing works but a CPA in my building just decided to go that direction (sort of). He gets the dedicated office for January -April and the virtual office the rest of the year all within the same space. It works as long as they have space available which he insists they always have in the past.

I could advise, to go with the stand alone a/c but you need to check if Regus allows it.

OK so it seems I have two choices - a standalone air conditioner that requires venting and an evaporative cooler that does not. The standalone AC will not work as an interior office has nowhere to vent to. An evaporative cooler looked promising then I read an article at https://www.newair.com/blogs/learn/what ... ve-coolers. The issue is that NC can get rather humid, so I suspect that will not work either.

Ah well, thanks for all the ideas. I suppose getting through meetings quickly might work!

Yeah in NC I don't think you'd get much out of a swamp cooler, except a swampy smelling office!

Aye, tb, as it is, I keep a can of Febreze on hand an have a potted plant that was recommended at a fine garden center for helping keep the air fresh in a small space. So anything that would add to the pong would not be helpful.

I wish I had the funds to move to a larger office with a window although, all things considered, my wee windowless office is a pleasant place to be. It is a few steps from the elevator, reception and kitchen. The lack of space is also convincing me to move towards a paperless office.

Return to Business Operations and Development