Should I join AICPA and/or Illinois CPA Society?

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Rupert  
I'm considering joining the AICPA and/or Illinois CPA Society. If I do join the AICPA, I would also consider joining the tax section.

I am interested in hearing what others have to say. Do you think these memberships are worth the cost?

Rupert wrote:Do you think these memberships are worth the cost?

I think the principal value in professional organizations is their power as lobbyists. AICPA has taken positions on preparer registration, Circular 230, and other matters of IRS regulating the industry. It also offers at least some self-regulation. An individual can't realistically have much influence, so it makes sense to support the organizations if a practitioner agrees with them.

Lobby efforts are just part of it. You get practice aids, like checklists, etc. You get reduced cost CPE. You get a Journal of Accountancy subscription for free. You get the Tax Adviser magazine at a reduced rate. They also have affinity programs for reduced hotel rates, reduced rates on office supplies, rental cars, etc.

eze  
AICPA is good value. Good CPE, not cheap, but good. Good journal. Tax Adviser Journal is also very good. Industry guides.....Lots of good stuff there.

State Society? In CA....I'm a member only because they administer the Peer Review program in the west. Other value??? Not so much. I'll just leave it at that.

LeslieK  
I am a member of the Illinois CPA Society. You may want to consider joining the society and one of their tax committees. I have been on the Tax Practice and Procedures Committee for the last six years. The experience has been invaluable. The resource network I have developed has helped tremendously in my practice.

Return to Business Operations and Development