Being My Own Tech Support

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Coddington  
After a good three-year run, my main wireless router has become unstable. So I replaced it with a new one. The only problem was that I lost my printer connection. My printer has hardwired ethernet and it was connected to an old wireless router on the same subnet as the main router. It took a couple of days around my work schedule, but I have finally gotten it working again. All in all, it's pretty trivial, but I'm glad I can still fix some things.
-Brian

Director of Tax Accounting Methods & Credits
SourceAdvisors.com

Opinions my own.

Congratulations. Very resourceful.

makbo  
During and after a long prior career involving most aspects of business computing, I've pretty much always handled my own tech support at home, which over the years has involved dozens of computers, countless software packages, multiple subnets, CAT5 cabling to six wall outlets, etc. But I'm about ready to throw in the towel, just as I would advise a DIY tax filer to consider hiring a professional when their situation gets more complicated, or they have better things to do with their time.

In my case, an otherwise smooth upgrade/cutover to AT&T Uverse almost two years ago ended up interfering with the wireless operation of one of my older network boxes. So, you can only get a good wireless signal at one end of my house, leaving only wired connectivity at the other end (unless I disable half the TV's in the house). So far, only a minor inconvenience for me, but those pesky mobile device users complain every so often.

I guess I need to get a Geek Squad person here, or else look for a good local independent computer shop. Any recommendations on chain vs. independent for this type of thing? This could be the same question asked for a small tax office, so I expect it's appropriate here. (This must be what it feels like to be a taxpayer shopping for professional tax prep ...)

Coddington  
Did you try changing the wireless channel and setting up a repeater, maybe flashing one of your old wireless routers with DD-WRT to make it easier?

I've never had trouble with my U-verse, but I use a different channel for my wireless computer network.

I can't help with chain vs. indie. Given your location, I'm betting a good independent is better than a chain, but I wouldn't know who that is. It is local knowledge. And it is exactly like tax. A guy I know two counties over asked for some tax help. I gave him the names of a couple of tax attorneys, but said if he needed something cheaper, like an EA, I don't know anyone in that area and it's just two counties over!
-Brian

SourceAdvisors.com

Opinions my own.

chris  
First, Brain - congrats on getting that figured out, that is an accomplishment no matter what expertise level.

makbo - a range extender should solve that for you. You'd need to find one that works with the same protocol(s) as your wireless router and on the same wavelength(s). This is what I mean (the category, not the product on the top of the page):

http://www.newegg.com/Wireless-Range-Ex ... ?Tid=17195

The shorter useable ranges of the newer shorter wavelength routers has really created a market for these things...
Site admin and software developer for TaxProTalk.com and https://TheSiteFactory.com

Coddington  
Thanks, Chris. I made it easy on myself. I use Buffalo wireless routers running DD-WRT and then flashed an old Linksys to run DD-WRT. It makes everything very easy, unless you forget how you set it up, the IP address of one of the routers, and the log-in info.
-Brian

SourceAdvisors.com

Opinions my own.

chris  
Ok bro now you are playin' us -- anyone who even KNOWS what DD-WRT is, is a geek computer nut so don't try to pretend you aren't ;-)

Next you are going to tell us you just happened to break out your wire-wrap tool and turn your Keurig into a 3D printer. We are SO on to you now, Coddington. :D
Site admin and software developer for TaxProTalk.com and https://TheSiteFactory.com

CathysTaxes  
I did my own tech support the last 2 days (warranty expired on the 9th). CD/DVD wasn't showing up anymore. Seems a Windows update corrupted the registry.
Cathy
CathysTaxes

Seems a Windows update corrupted the registry.

These updates cause more problems than they solve, IMO. When I get a new computer, I immediately turn them off.

makbo  
Coddington wrote:Did you try changing the wireless channel and setting up a repeater, maybe flashing one of your old wireless routers with DD-WRT to make it easier?

I believe I know what you mean by "flashing", but that is the kind of thing I have always tried to avoid. :(

I tried a few things. As you know, determining the exact nature of the problem is half the solution. One theory is that since Uverse pumps everything including TV through the network, the old LInksys just can't keep up with the volume of traffic and serve up wireless too. (This theory is reinforced by the fact that the wireless network is still available, it just performs very erractically if at all). The other theory is that the Uverse wireless TV box is drowning out the old Linksys signal, but I did try changing the frequency or whatever and it didn't help (this was all almost two years ago, so I don't remember it all in detail).

I'll just have to make those calls to a few local providers and see what I can get. Maybe I'll get a free 1-hr consultation, but I doubt it.

Coddington  
Your Linksys box shouldn't be serving up Uverse television traffic, just network traffic. Uverse's separate wireless boxes should be serving the wireless televion signal to the wireless set-top boxes. Personally, I'd look into getting replacement U-verse hardware first.
-Brian

SourceAdvisors.com

Opinions my own.

makbo  
The Uverse router/modem (the main box) is at one end of my house, so to get to the other end, where the Uverse DVR and the wireless TVs are, the ethernet traffic goes through a Linksys box, a hub, and a 2nd Linksys box (all wired). It is at the end of the daisy chain (2nd LInksys) that the Uverse DVR and wireless TV box are connected, so it must all be going through the network. Everything worked fine before Uverse, and it all works fine now too, except that the Linksys boxes, which might be close to ten years old, don't serve up wireless reliably any more. Well, like I said, probably time for me to hire an expert. I'd love to buy new network boxes if only I knew exactly what I need. Thanx for your input, I've probably stretched this thread beyond the needs of an ordinary tax office so if you have more advice, please PM me.

Coddington  
The IPTV multicast, if unfiltered, will flood the available bandwidth on wireless access points. That should be enough keywords to get you started on finding a solution.
-Brian

SourceAdvisors.com

Opinions my own.

Return to Business Operations and Development