Very Religious Clients

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
So, recently, I gained a new client - husband and wife - who are very religious. Referral from a fellow EA who works in the same building (they are not in his niche market). I've had two appointments with them so far and they seem very nice people. However, they have spent a not-insignificant time in each appointment discussing their faith. It's not the time I'm bothered about. The meetings were properly concluded in the time allotted. I am just wary that attempts to evangelize may increase. How does one handle that? I am used to people mentioning faith but the intensity in the context of a tax appointment is new to me.

All my grandparents were churchgoers, because that's what you did then if you knew what was good for you. My parents less so - they found the hypocrisy distasteful. I went to school in Scotland, where Religious Education is part of the curriculum from beginning to end; in the 1970's it was exclusively Judeo-Christian. However, I made a decision in my late teens to walk away from organized religion. All that has shaped my views that can be described as a little unorthodox, shocking the first time you hear them, yet mainstream if you take time to think about it.

I think they are genuine people and I do not want to offend them. However, if these discussions continue next year, the logical conclusion is that they will draw more out of me than just platitudes, which could easily make the situation very uncomfortable.

Ach, maybe I'm worrying over nothing, but any and all thoughtful observations would be welcome, if you have managed to read this far.

If they make such a request (i.e. "Do you go to church?" "Why not?"), I would politely state you prefer to keep your professional and personal dynamics separate as it relates to these things.

If they are of the mind that they MUST do business with someone who shares their deep religious beliefs, then you aren't going to be the right fit. If you aren't clear about that when pressed, they will eventually find out and you will be accused of being a liar, which is worse than just losing client due to "fit".

In my first professional job, I worked for a fellow who was LDS. I am not. I didn't ask this of him and he didn't make it a point to tell me, but it became apparent as I worked with more of his clients. He was on vacation at one point and a prospective client called with a question I couldn't answer. The prospect asked me if I knew of any other LDS CPAs in town. I politely, but firmly, informed him that I don't take religious beliefs into account when evaluating professionals and, because of that, I had no idea the answer to his question.

My point is, some people have this on their list. It's not on yours. Represent yourself clearly and respectfully when the circumstance arises. If they get upset you didn't lead with this, you can always offer that you don't feel religious beliefs (or lack thereof) influences your ability to provide excellent professional services.
~Captcook

Thank for taking the time to respond thoughtfully CaptCook. For myself, I have never considered religion in choosing who I do business with. There are many in Scotland who did, and still do. It is cancerous there and has been for the last three hundred-odd years. This is something I never understood. We will see what next year brings.

smtcpa  
I have no patience for that. I would politely tell them "I appreciate your passion about your faith, but it makes me uncomfortable and I have a policy of not discussing politics or religion with my clients"

If they leave, in my world, it would be a good thing.

SumwunLost wrote:However, they have spent a not-insignificant time in each appointment discussing their faith. It's not the time I'm bothered about. The meetings were properly concluded in the time allotted. I am just wary that attempts to evangelize may increase.

smtcpa, the clients have not yet exhibited signs of trying to "convert" or "save" me, but I am alert to these things. That is partly because NC has been described as "the buckle on the Bible Belt" and partly because of the religious wars carried on in my native Scotland for centuries. (For instance, when I was about eleven years old, I played in a five-aside football team. Some people could not understand why I, from a Presbyterian family, would play in a team with two Roman Catholics.)

Gjkycpa  
I certainly understand your comment about not-insignificant time and a tax appointment is not the time to spread the gospel unless it is short concise observation. It is well known that I am a Christian in the area and that has been a reason for referrals and new clients, although I let it come naturally and certainly do not advertise it in any way. Just some of my thoughts, so I respect your opinions.

The public has no way to know who is a good tax professional to trust, so they have to use other shortcuts to try to suss it out. Some will use "biggest refund possible" as their shortcut, some will use religious affinity, some will use friends' recommendations, some will use a shared politics, and some might use a combination of that. For some people, just being unwilling to talk about one's religion or not going to a church would be a red flag to them and they would find another practitioner.

+1 to CaptCook's reply, mostly. Your USP is going to determine how you approach this problem. You'll never make everyone happy, so you need to remain true to yourself.

Beagle  
I haven't had the ultra religious - it's the ultra political that get on my nerves.
If you don't want to talk to them about it they assume you don't agree with everything they say. Had a wife shout at me from another room because she had determined all of my political beliefs out of thin air.

One time I gave a prediction on a presidential race outcome, taxpayer assumed from that moment on that I was affiliated with that party and made comments about it. Never again.

JAD  
Long ago I was working for a small company where several of the employees were aggressively religious. It was a drag. I say that as someone who attempts to be a good Christian.

I am imagining these people sitting across from me. It's tax season. I am feeling pressured. Perhaps this,

"Listen, I respect the force of your faith, and there are some things that we have in common. But I need to maintain certain boundaries. I hope that you understand. If you are uncomfortable with this separation of church and state, so to speak, and you need to make a change, I understand. The other thing that you might want to know is that during tax season, I charge for every minute. I earn over 50% of my revenue in these 12 weeks, and I am dead serious about taking the best care of my clients in this complicated and toxic tax environment. I am focused on those responsibilities."

ATSMAN  
About 5 years back, I was in a similar awkward situation. My client referred their parents and both of them were ministers in some offshoot Christian sect. First meeting went fine until the end when they started to preach to me and the wife said that she felt an "emotional connection" because we both were raised in the same small town. I kept my mouth shut as they went along preaching and then I politely said that I am happy with my faith and my Church so I am not interested in switching and I need to finish their return so that I can move on to the next appointment. I think they got the point because the following year the mailed the paperwork, and then they were gone and I did not bring up this matter with my client (still doing his returns).

Agree with CaptCook.

I'd be clear and set expectations from the beginning. If they're going to leave they're going to leave. If they are, it prolonging the process will only mean more stress for you.

Thanks all for the responses. Much appreciated. I must stress that this has not yet become a problem. I think they were pleased with my services - return in and out within a week and wife seems keen to return next year. Husband wondered out loud if he could do it himself. However, the replies to my post have given me something to think about, just in case.

Funnily enough, I have fewer problems over politics. I can empathize with a wide range of opinions, all the way from Bernie to the President and everyone in between. Some here who have engaged me in political discussions might be rather surprised if I ever shared my voting record in this country. I suppose politics is not quite as close to the center of the onion as religion is.

Interesting conversation. I’m in the heart of the Bible Belt. I’m guessing at least 70% of my clients donate to a local church (southern evangelical so not catholic, Jewish, or Muslim).

Most of those who don’t give are under 40.

However, faith rarely comes up. Maybe because so many of us are surrounded by it here.

Usually it’s mentioned to see if we have a common connection with a church or school.

I try and keep the conversation light, as I know have a sprinkling of other denominations, faiths, or lack thereof. And attorneys...

novacpa  
SumwunLost wrote:So, recently, I gained a new client - husband and wife - who are very religious. Referral from a fellow EA who works in the same building (they are not in his niche market). I've had two appointments with them so far and they seem very nice people. However, they have spent a not-insignificant time in each appointment discussing their faith. It's not the time I'm bothered about. The meetings were properly concluded in the time allotted. I am just wary that attempts to evangelize may increase. How does one handle that? I am used to people mentioning faith but the intensity in the context of a tax appointment is new to me.

All my grandparents were churchgoers, because that's what you did then if you knew what was good for you. My parents less so - they found the hypocrisy distasteful. I went to school in Scotland, where Religious Education is part of the curriculum from beginning to end; in the 1970's it was exclusively Judeo-Christian. However, I made a decision in my late teens to walk away from organized religion. All that has shaped my views that can be described as a little unorthodox, shocking the first time you hear them, yet mainstream if you take time to think about it.

I think they are genuine people and I do not want to offend them. However, if these discussions continue next year, the logical conclusion is that they will draw more out of me than just platitudes, which could easily make the situation very uncomfortable.

Ach, maybe I'm worrying over nothing, but any and all thoughtful observations would be welcome, if you have managed to read this far.

You can say, "I prayed on your tax fee last night - the Lord said to double it "

ATSMAN  
You can say, "I prayed on your tax fee last night - the Lord said to double it "

I like that one. May be I will use that line to get rid of them from my office :twisted:

Once had a potential client citing that he wanted his tax return picture perfect as he is a man of the Lord etc. I told him that in his business, we will always have decisions that are not black and white. After citing proverb to me I said something like "That's fine, but that is NOT how the government sees it." he responded, and I quote "Do you not follow the King""

I responded, knowing full well I didn't want him as a client. "The King? Yes, I have 2 Elvis albums in my collection."

He left fairly quickly.

Southpark, I'm rather hoping that my clients will not be as single-minded as yours. Time will tell. For instance, I may find that they are accepting of my views, should I choose to share them. I have been pleasantly surprised like that before, but never in the context of a professional relationship. I have also had friendships break down over the fact that I would happily do business with a Hindu.

There is the story of the former Italian Communist party leader who accompanied his devout Roman Catholic wife to Mass every Sunday. Every week for over fifty years, the priest invited him in and every week he politely declined, waiting patiently for his wife to return. That is the mutual respect I hope for.

Return to Business Operations and Development