I do everything except tax returns...

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
All day long sometimes.

Do you ever feel this way?

AlexCPA  
Absolutely! Sometimes I feel like I spend the whole day answering phone calls, sending emails, and lurking on tax for....

If you'll excuse me, I have to get some returns done...

...after watching some cat videos.
Even more of my antics may be found on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXDitB ... sMwfO19h7A

ATSMAN  
I think we all need to follow a schedule to keep us on track. I often get pulled to answer client questions and put out fires.

So now I block off time where the assistant will take messages. I only answer if it is a family emergency.

Also I have found the most productive time early in the morning until say 10am!

Eduardo  
I implemented a policy this year where we only have appointments on Tuesdays and Thursdays (with rare exceptions - my former assistant came in Friday to pick up her stuff and go over a few things as we still do her taxes- she worked here for four years and only left for family reasons and we're still on great terms, so she gets a pass, along with a 30 year client who owns a major business client - he can come whenever he wants but he always texts me first to make sure I'm in).

My problem is that I don't get in during the week until around 8:45 as I have to get the kids on the bus, and that's not until 8:30. Last week had to work from home two days (one for kids snow day) - nice that I can work from home if need be, but still have to monitor what the kids are doing (8 year old twin boys) and make sure they eat, etc.

ATSMAN  
I used to work with a single mother that got in around 9am after her kids were on the bus and left the office around 2:30 - 3pm to pick up her kids. If you have a loyal clientele you can pretty much arrange your schedule the way it fits for you.

Just make sure there is some alternative in case of unexpected situations. I backed her up after she left in case one of her clients called or walked in. At least they would interact with a warm blooded person, instead of playing phone tag!

This is a good business to be in if you want flexible hours.

Eduardo  
ATSMAN wrote:I used to work with a single mother that got in around 9am after her kids were on the bus and left the office around 2:30 - 3pm to pick up her kids. If you have a loyal clientele you can pretty much arrange your schedule the way it fits for you.

Just make sure there is some alternative in case of unexpected situations. I backed her up after she left in case one of her clients called or walked in. At least they would interact with a warm blooded person, instead of playing phone tag!

This is a good business to be in if you want flexible hours.

Yep - my assistant is in the same boat. Her husband works from home when he's in town (he does travel a lot), but he was recently out of the country for a couple of months, so she'd get in a little after me (I live a couple miles closer to the office). There will be times she has to leave early, and that's fine as I have the same issue if my wife has to work late or do something for her parents and we don't have a sitter (or I just tell her that I'll get the kids). Kids have spring break at the end of the month and they'll be going to stay at a friend's house about 1 1/2 hours away, so I'll be able to get in early. I'm glad I spent the money to get the furniture to set up the den at home when the kids were about a year old - still prefer working at the office, but can certainly work from home if need be.

MWPXYZ  
It seems that clients find a hot buyer for their business in January and February and the allocation of the sales price as well as the estimate of the taxes on the deal NEED to be calculated ASAP. Also, with Opportunity Zones in addition to 1031 exchanges (on a limited type of assets now) creates more alternatives to analyze.

I have one client for whom this is an annual event, he is 85 years old so a sale could happen, maybe.

And unexpected results from calculating the profit (or loss) on a percentage of completion basis for financials for the bonding company so contractors can bid on jobs when the ground thaws can make for a lot of discussion and tension.

Beagle  
When I used to do cold calling, my sweet spot was 6:30-7:30am.
I get in early in the day and get one pretty much completed before anyone else enters the office.
I do one at home in the evening most nights.

My problem is I'll be working on stuff all day long and it never feels like I actually FINISHED a return.

I wish there was a way to turn off the auto log out on the software. I must log into that thing 6-7x per day and I don't leave the office all day.

ATSMAN wrote:
Also I have found the most productive time early in the morning until say 10am!

My office number goes straight to voicemail until 10am, and clients are not given my cell number. Forces them to wait until after 10am, or e-mail me.

I have also started a policy of only taking appointments on Wednesdays and Thursdays whenever possible, though I have had to expand that out a bit right now.

I’m meeting clients Tuesday through Thursday and working on returns Friday, Saturday, and Monday. It’s seems okay. Still need to get prices up and have fewer clients, just hard to pull the trigger.

Wiles  
Anybody move many tax returns this week?

Especially CA preparers?

I think I got 10 done. And that’s with all appts cancelled. :(

Yes, now I'm getting some returns done.

Slower at first with phone review appointments and setting up a tax pro to work from home.

Faster now as I deliver electronically and dont "suggest" a phone review.

Moving like 8/day and only working 10 hour days.

CathysTaxes  
I spend more time telling clients how to print out the signature forms and send them back either by fax or scan and email. Today had two millennials who don't have printers!
Cathy
CathysTaxes

ATSMAN  
CathysTaxes wrote:I spend more time telling clients how to print out the signature forms and send them back either by fax or scan and email. Today had two millennials who don't have printers!

I really take issue with clients, making good income who say that because I know they can get it printed at work or elsewhere. So I send them links to Best Buy, Staples, Tiger Direct that sell cheap printers. Believe me it drives home the point and make them look cheap :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

dsocpa  
CathyTaxes millennials, I find do everything with their cellphones. They take a picture and text. I get a blank stare or silence when I tell them to print anything.

CathysTaxes wrote:I spend more time telling clients how to print out the signature forms and send them back either by fax or scan and email. Today had two millennials who don't have printers!

I recommend RightSignature with KBA.

They can use their phones to verify their identity and tap to sign form 8879 (not much else, but that's most of them).

CathysTaxes  
dsocpa wrote:CathyTaxes millennials, I find do everything with their cellphones. They take a picture and text. I get a blank stare or silence when I tell them to print anything.

And the picture is too dark, distorted, and unreadable.
Cathy
CathysTaxes

ItDepends wrote:

I recommend RightSignature with KBA.

They can use their phones to verify their identity and tap to sign form 8879 (not much else, but that's most of them).

100% agree. I'm not a millennial and I haven't had a home printer for years.
Our firm transitioned to using SafeSend a couple years ago and it's fantastic.
~Captcook

I got five returns reviewed yesterday when I would've expected 25.
I still haven't finished one today. Remote access is rather slow
~Captcook

Wiles  
Too busy answering e-mail from clients.

Hi Wiles,

I hope you and your family are OK (but I really don’t care).

I know the deadline has changed, but I will want to file by 4/15 (for no good reason).

Can you please let me know the status of our tax returns? (Please finish them before you die.)

Next

Return to Business Operations and Development