What is the Coronavirus?

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
TY20XX  
J/K

Are you making any different arrangements due to the Coronavirus? Personal change or professional? How is your office dealing with it?

Curious to see how people adjust. An article in The Atlantic stated that 40-70% of the world will contract the virus. It may be sensationalized to get clicks but it is possible.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... ne/607000/

ATSMAN  
I am taking little extra precautions this season:

1) Extra hand sanitizer bottles. Juts got a caseload from Costco!

2) Not shaking hands (elbow bumps) if client has a cold.

3) Cancelled plans for a vacation after tax season (That hurts!)

4) I am not sure if those paper or cloth masks work, but I have a professional painting mask with activated charcoal filter if the need be!

AlexCPA  
I don't meet any clients in person -- problem solved! Also reduces the risk of flu, chickenpox, and L.A. traffic! :)
Even more of my antics may be found on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXDitB ... sMwfO19h7A

deniz  
My house is 5 miles from the hospital where the Seattle outbreak and deaths occurred and an entire skyscraper across the street from my office downtown was shut down yesterday for cleaning because someone entered the building who had contact with a coronavirus patient.

I am working out of my home office, finishing up meetings that have already been committed to but dont intend to schedule any additional in-person meetings. I am sure I a little ahead of the curve on the issue because of my relationship with a Ivy League Department of Microbiology and Immunology professor modeling the virus, but I expect that this will be how most businesses will operate here soon.

smtcpa  
I look like a genius, even though it was just a coincidence, but we went much more remote this year and have a dropoff location at a Regus office location. We do not meet many clients. So far, I've only had to meet with one client for a dropoff and she finally realized how pointless the meeting was when she said, "yeah, I think next year I'm ready for the portal and won't need a meeting." Otherwise, business as usual wondering if I need to go buy extra supplies because people are clearing shelves of cough syrup, toliet paper, sanitizers, etc.

Considering the flu mortality rate is 1.5% and the CV rate is 3%, all I'm doing is keeping my immune system healthy by eating right, sleeping well, and moderate exercise. Im wiping down the office every day and using purell after every client.

I do believe it is going to become like the flu, and so far, many more die from the flu (and have died so far this year from the flu). I never get a flu shot and almost never get the flu (knock on wood). The death rate is currently thought to be 3.4%...iti s predominately in third world countries with less than stellar medical, or honestly with people that may not have access to care. If China and other third-world countries are in the mix, it is going to skew averages.

I work from home, rarely venture out. I use sanitizer and wash my hands constantly because I am a germophobe. I hate shaking hands, so I try to wash or sanitize as soon as possible and avoid touching my mouth or nose until I can wash them. I sanitize my mouse and keyboard fairly often, same with phones. Filling my vehicle with gas is tough on me, I sanitize my hands several times after if I cannot get to a sink to wash them. Yep, I use a ton of lotion because my hands are so dry.

I know some people that are canceling their travel plans. I would not, overall, alter or cancel travel plans if I had any besides the 5+ weeks I will be in Michigan this summer (driving). I firmly believe the media is making this a far bigger deal than it needs to be for ratings/advertising dollars.

Want to make your brain hurt? Can COVID-19 live on an object for an extended period of time, or is it short-lived and needs to be spread through respiratory means? What I mean is since China produces most of the world's goods, and they are the epicenter of COVID-19, could any of the goods be contaminated that are being receiving into the U.S. and other countries, and infect someone through contact? Just a curious thought--I avoid living my life in fear, have just taken on the viewpoint that everything and everyone is filthy and make a few adjustments based on that.

Cornerstone, the last I heard is that COVID-19 can live on something for a few hours. My wife is a Registered Nurse and she is taking no precautions beyond what she would do for the 'flu. She works with patients who are ready to leave hospital with an IV line, so she has heightened awareness as part of her working life.

Of course, as the virus spreads in geographic terms, the few hours that COVID-19 can live becomes less meaningful. It cannot survive on a package mailed from China, but if a mail handler in the US is carrying the virus, the clock starts again.

SumwunLost wrote:Cornerstone, the last I heard is that COVID-19 can live on something for a few hours. My wife is a Registered Nurse and she is taking no precautions beyond what she would do for the 'flu.

My MIL is a nurse and is not taking any additional precautions, and is still flying down to visit us in April. I have a client that is an ER doctor and she has not mentioned any additional precautions on her part.

There are a high percentage of people that have been infected, it appears, that did not even exhibit any symptoms. That alone would take the mortality rate down if they could confirm they were in fact infected but did not need treatment.

I hate doctors, I basically have to feel like I am going to cough up a lung, throw up my stomach, or be unable to move before I will go to one for an illness. With that said, I have to get going for my doctor's appointment for my anxiety and review of standard blood tests, ha!

Beagle  
JMO but I'm guessing NEXT winter could be the big problem - not so much this one. In my area, the flu is already starting to dwindle and will die out (mostly) in about a month. I'm more worried about it being the primary flu virus NEXT YEAR. If that's the case, watch out.

My only change this year is I've cut out eating at restaurants at lunch. Restaurants are horrific for germs when you think even a little about it. If someone there is carrying the virus but doesn't have symptoms yet, hundreds could be exposed. People who have the virus may not show symptoms for up to 2 weeks - if ever.

ATSMAN  
My local STAPLES had a notice that they are running low on hand sanitizers!

On TV there were so called health experts telling people to buy the cheapest Vodka and dilute it with water 75% alcohol strength and that is just as good as hand sanitizers!

Watch out the run on Vodka now!

Beagle  
Why not just use rubbing alcohol?

deniz  
Vodka is only 40% alcohol, so if you dilute it you are down the 30%, you need 75% concentration of alcohol to kill the virus.

There are no good uses for cheap vodka.

ATSMAN  
I was talking to another Preparer in my county and he has implemented a strict policy of not allowing children into his office. He has a drop box and prefers drop off or use of the portal. I sometimes have kids tag along with their parents when they come for a brief meeting. I need to rethink now.

ATSMAN  
https://www.cdc.gov/infectioncontrol/gu ... mical.html

Good information. Better than those quacks on TV!

smtcpa  
Time for a case of Everclear I guess?

deniz wrote:Vodka is only 40% alcohol, so if you dilute it you are down the 30%, you need 75% concentration of alcohol to kill the virus.

I am often giving to shouting at the screen when I read anything in the Scottish Review, but I think this is worth a read: https://www.scottishreview.net/AnthonySeaton514a.html

Beagle wrote:Why not just use rubbing alcohol?

There are no hand sanitizers available near me. The shelves are empty of them at big box stores and pharmacies alike. I bought 4 quarts of rubbing alcohol and ordered a gallon of Aloe Vera gel that I can mix. Now, I will have hand sanitizer at whatever percent alcohol I choose...and no worry about running out of it.

ATSMAN  
Just wait till they run out of rubbing alcohol and aloe vera gel! People are panicking each day with news getting worse!

smtcpa wrote:Time for a case of Everclear I guess?

deniz wrote:Vodka is only 40% alcohol, so if you dilute it you are down the 30%, you need 75% concentration of alcohol to kill the virus.

I’m in Arkansas. I’ll just drink from my own distillery...I mean wash my hands with it.

Next

Return to Business Operations and Development