Does anyone use more than one type of tax software?

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Maybe using a more robust program for more complex returns (ProSystems Fx) and using a more entry level program for more simple returns?

Instead of just using Prosystems FX for all your returns, I was thinking this may save some $.

I use ProSystem FX for individuals and Proseries for everything thing else. This bifurcation came about because I used (and still use) ATB (Accountant Trial Balance) which imports into ProSeries.

I will likely stop using ProSeries after this tax season and try something else such as Drake. I abhore the cost of FX but the after-tax cost difference between it and Lacerte or UltraTax doesn't warrant turning my world upside down. I will try Drake using their $300 plan and see how I like it.

The one thing I hate about ProSeries is their e-file process. I select the client and tell it to e-file these returns but when I click on the efile button I never see which client files are being sent. In my opinion, it is a lousy way to do it. With FX, I get four of five bites at the apple see exactly which files are being transmitted throughout the entire process.

ATSMAN  
I select the client and tell it to e-file these returns but when I click on the efile button I never see which client files are being sent.

Is there a e-file status or transaction summary report? I can't believe that a professional tax software does not tell the preparer which client is e-filed and what??

BTW I got a call from Proseries sales fellow to discuss software options for next season. If what you are saying is true this software is DOA for me!

I'll continue using UT for 2014-2018, and Lacerte for 2019+.

I am trying to cut costs and honestly with how great Prosys FX is they are quite expensive. Might have to take a diff road in the future.

irc162  
Account Deactivated
I used both Drake and Lacerte for about 10 years. I used Lacerte on a REP basis, so upfront costs were low. I liked being able to choose the program that was best suited to the client and their situation. And if one system ever completely crashed and burned (wasn't it ATX that did that a few years ago?) I had another program already installed and ready to go---and with no learning curve.

That's a great way to hedge your bet albeit one that requires an initial learning curve to become proficient in two softwares.

ProSystem FX makes it very expensive to prepare an individual client's tax returns when multiple states are involved. An unlimited individual tax license for all states is way too expensive for me, a sole practitioner, so I go on a pay-per-state return basis outside my home state. The cost per state return is not cheap.

I'm going to try the $300 Drake deal after tax season, if it's still available, and see how I like it.

ATSMAN  
Drake will e-mail you link to their 2019 software after tax season for you to evaluate. You may want to convert a sample of your current clients and see if Drake can handle it to your liking. There is a steep learning curve with Drake for Data Entry. The default mode is screens that are generally grouped logically. There is a forms view data entry mode but it is a bit clunky compared to other software. BUT Drake computes a return super fast and views the results.

ATSMAN wrote: BUT Drake computes a return super fast and views the results.

I have evaluated most of the professional tax prep software on the market, and they all obviously have their pros and cons. Right now, my ideal tax prep software would be a merger of UT and Lacerte. Lacerte includes and can handle in greater detail some things than UT, but is also more generic in others. UT has a vastly superior asset module and includes support for forms such as a PT-100 (South Carolina's business property return, not available in Lacerte and most other programs I have looked at). Lacerte calculates things very quickly, UT is very slow (AND, I can enter all 9s for the tax ID to do calculations and view ALL forms before having to obtain a license--I remain on REP, so it is a nice feature compared to limited access via UT, and UT will not show me calculations until after the license is acquired). I still look back at UT for various reasons, or if it is prior to 2019, will use UT for the tax prep, but I am just stunned at how much faster Lacerte is...I always knew UT seemed slow, but never knew just how slow it was until this year.

Return to Business Operations and Development