Video conference - Why?

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Wiles  
Now that we are cancelling appointments because of the virus, I have several clients suggesting a video conference. I don't see the point. What's wrong with a phone call?

Am I just being a curmudgeon?

And I don't have a camera on my workstation monitor?

I will facetime my kids. That's an appropriate use for video conferencing.

Why do you want to see my pale, baggy-eyed face as I tell you your refund is $X?

ATSMAN  
It depends on your clientele. Younger folks all do Facetime/Skype etc. So that is what they expect from you.

I will do plain old voice only teleconference or video conference whatever makes them happy!

swgordon  
I don't video conference anyone. I don't like it as I don't want to be on camera. It makes me feel uncomfortable. My clientele is younger and when they ask I just tell them that I don't do that. They never ask again and it's not a big deal. A phone call should be more than sufficient.

smtcpa  
I have it available and mostly only new prospective clients have requested it. I think it does make it more personable and, if needed, you could screen share and go over their return if they wanted.

I was uncomfortable at first, but I got used to it quickly.

I have it, but do not use it. I use it as a conference call system, or to share my screen while also talking with them over the phone. I hate being on camera, let alone a video call.

Almost all of my clients use e-mail, except when it is just simpler to use the phone. My e-mail has thousands of e-mails, but I might receive a dozen calls or so a week. Even new clients typically e-mail me, first.

Wiles  
The screen sharing part makes sense. I am low on the learning curve, though. I hope that part is simple.

Wiles  
We have about half of our folks working remotely, so we have been doing Zoom staff meetings. I still don't understand the point of needing to see somebody while you talk to them. One helpful insight, though, is you are truly able to see how disinterested everybody is during staff meetings.

Along with Social Distancing as a phrase, Zoom is a word I do not want to hear after current circumstances calm down. I will never use Zoom, have my own video conferencing system in the rare event I need it.

I have used FaceTime under ONE scenario--when my wife and I had 10 months long distancing 1100 miles apart during 2017/2018.

sjrcpa  
We use Microsoft Teams-internally and can invite outsiders. Ability to share screens is great when going over documents.

Return to Business Operations and Development