zoom

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
zl28  
just read zoom software not so wonderfully safe bc of lack of encryption...something to consider.

what are alternatives to use....gotomypc?

I won't use Zoom. I'm pissed that my wife's school district is forcing her to use it while working from home.

RingCentral has a decent video conferencing system. Can't recall if it has ability to share screen...think it does, but been 18+ months since I last used it.

sjrcpa  
We use Microsoft Teams. Recommended by our very security conscious IT people.

MWEA  
CornerstoneCPA wrote:I won't use Zoom. I'm pissed that my wife's school district is forcing her to use it while working from home.

RingCentral has a decent video conferencing system. Can't recall if it has ability to share screen...think it does, but been 18+ months since I last used it.

I had a video call with the vendor earlier this week, they used ring central. It was Zoom. It was branded something like zoom by ring central.

Seriously? That isn't how it was last time I used it. If that is the case, I will not using RingCentral for it, either. Whatever...I basically refuse video conferences. There is virtually nothing they achieve that a conference call cannot. People just like to use whatever is most popular at the moment.

Yup, just confirmed it. No RingCentral until they get away from Zoom or Zoom gets their act together.

We use gotomeeting. They are one of the first. To me they are the best for business: https://www.gotomeeting.com/

smtcpa  
I am no security expert but I wonder if the whole Zoom security "problems" are media over-blown hype. I use Zoom and they do have what seems to be decent security. I read that many users use a public link instead of private links and do not require passwords to enter. Like anything, systems can be hacked if proper use of the tool is not followed.

Here is what Zoom says (https://zoom.us/docs/doc/Zoom-Security-White-Paper.pdf):

Application security: Zoom can encrypt all presentation content at the application layer using the Advanced Encryption
Standard (AES) 256-bit algorithm.

Selective meeting invitation: The host can selectively invite participants via email, IM, or SMS. This provides greater control
over the distribution of the meeting access information. The host can also create the meeting to only allow members from a
certain domain email to join.

dsocpa  
Zoom uses "open source" software which makes it vulnerable to hackers. You get what you pay for. It's handy and inexpensive for a casual user.

RingCentral now uses a proprietary video conference platform. End-to-end encryption ("E2EE") is an option but all participants must use the RingCentral app and some features are unusable with E2EE, like recording the call and the auto-add subtitles feature.

Been doing a lot of research on this recently as I'm going to pull the trigger on a video conference and screen share platform, but it needs to be secure and I want E2EE functionality.

It amazes me how many people ask to use Zoom despite the many security concerns that have been made public.

dsocpa wrote:Zoom uses "open source" software which makes it vulnerable to hackers.

That's not accurate. You either have open source code, which is made available for public inspection, or you have private unpublished proprietary code.

Some of the most secure platforms are open source, and that's not a coincidence. It's because when the public is able to inspect and test the code, and therefore security vulnerabilities are generally identified and patched quicker. Many eyes are better than a few. Some open source companies even have a bounty program to encourage testing the fence line so to speak.

Signal is the industry leader for an E2EE personal messaging, audio call and video call platform, and it's open source.

Return to Business Operations and Development