Wanting to do tax returns

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
cmarkb  
During my time in college I took several accounting courses but at the time was not interested in starting my own business. Now, I'd like to start doing tax returns but I am not sure the best route to go. I am not an accountant. I have worked in accounts receivables for many years but I know that doesn't even touch the IRS tax codes, at least not the receivable that I've been involved with.

Is there a good reputable place where I can take classes to learn more about tax returns and actually take a test that certifies me to be a tax preparer without returning to a traditional college classroom? One of my bachelor degrees was done online and I have no problem with that. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Mark.

chris  
I was in a similar situation. I did the Gleim online courses for EA preparation. With no way to have time to sit in a live classroom, this was the best option for me and it seemed to be pretty decent.
Site admin and software developer for TaxProTalk.com and https://TheSiteFactory.com

JAD  
Just IMO. I think that experience trumps education. Get hired somewhere at the ground level and start learning. The practical skills that I brought to my employer after my 4 year business degree with a concentration in accounting were minimal. That is in contrast with the practical skills gained as I worked through my masters. Because I had context, the content was meaningful.

It is ten years since I did the H&R Block tax course. It served me well when seeking employment with a CPA firm. I have no idea if the training is the same, but when I did it, you learned with pen and paper. That first tax season taught me an awful lot about handling clients as well. All in all, it delivers a well-rounded education.

The problem is that the next course does not start until the summer. If you can wait that long, I recommend it.

I am using Gleim to study for the SEE (2 parts down, one to go). If you apply yourself to the Gleim system, you will learn more than you thought possible. It is pretty good at preparing you for exams as well.

I agree with JAD that experience trumps education. That said, I too took the H&R Block course when I was starting out and I found that it help me a lot. My boss sent me to it so he didn't have to spend the time training me on the basics. Studying for the EA exam won't hurt either.

chris  
Right, I agree with you guys that experience is critical. I did both, studied/passed the EA at the same time I was working for my friend in his tax prep firm. I learned how a big tax firm runs, everything from how appointments are handled to the filing system and the front office activities.
Site admin and software developer for TaxProTalk.com and https://TheSiteFactory.com

My experience help me pass the EA more than studying. I think I ended up studying for maybe 2-4 hours per section in total. I know if was much less than that for part 3 but then again, I was working in a tax problem resolution firm so a lot of that information was already ingrained in my head.

Return to Business Operations and Development