IRS EIN Online Assistant - Hit & Miss

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Wiles  
It seems that half of time I try to get an EIN for a trust (deceased taxpayer) via the IRS online portal, I get to the end and it says "We apologize for the inconvenience, but based on the information provided we are unable to provide you with an EIN through this online assistant. "

Sometimes, I will go back in a few days, and it works fine. Anybody else have the same experience?

Is it something I am doing?

sjrcpa  
I have had it, too. No idea why.

Joan TB  
gremlins.

Wiles  
Tried again today and still can't get through. And, of course, there is nobody at the IRS to pick up the phone. Any suggestions?

Joan TB  
Are you talking about the SS-4 online app? I know that you can only get one per day. And the times are 7a-10p Eastern time but I see you are in California, so that probably isn't it. However, I will say that I don't think I ever remember it NOT working through to the end where I get the EIN. There was this weird caveat:
We cannot process your application online if the responsible party is an entity with an EIN previously obtained through the Internet.

The SS-4 instructions say you can apply by fax, but who knows if that is being staffed right now or not.

Wiles  
I do get all the way to the end. Hit Submit, then get this message:
We are unable to provide you with an EIN.

We apologize for the inconvenience, but based on the information provided we are unable to provide you with an EIN through this online assistant.

Please call 1-800-829-4933 for assistance. When outside the US, call 267-941-1099. TTY/TDD: 1-800-829-4059.

Please have your information readily available, and mention reference number 101.

Wiles  
So we decided to instead mail the SS-4 in on May 15th. The fax line wasn't working. I called last week and the rep said they are just getting back to work and are significantly backlogged. I explained the online issue and he said the problem was likely because the name is common. Doesn't seem common -- "The Shultz Family Trust".

The client calls today and he really really needs the tax ID number because they are selling the property and escrow needs to close. I decide to go to the online tool again. This time, I am going to change the name. I use "The Charles and Joyce Schultz Family Trust". Bingo! That worked.

The escrow company can now do the 1099-S. They don't need to know we are using a different name. I will correct the name when we file the 1041.

("Charles" and "Joyce" are fake name for the purposes of this discussion.)

Return to Business Operations and Development