any good CPE providers to recommend?

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
cl2018  
Can anyone recommend some good CPE providers? Thank you!

Oh wow, that's an open ended question. How do you study best? For instance, do you feel that you need a live webinar presenter where you can ask questions (that may or may not get answered)? Do you do well with just reading a book and testing yourself on questions? Maybe a bit of both? Or do you hanker after a live presentation where you are present and can ask questions of the instructor during the break?

For live presentations, I recommend NCPE and Bob Jennings' team, although I do not know if the former is still in business. Their website seems lacking in updates.

Gleim is good for multiple delivery methods. They have pre-tests, audio with slides, and a PDF to read through. Very thorough. I used them to pass the SEE, alongside a live course, and felt they prepared me very well indeed.

I like The Tax Book CE for a good overview of a topic. I have never come across anything that gets into the meat of the topic but sometimes we all need a refresher on the basics. Most of their courses are one or two hours, so you can pick one up on a slow day and learn something.

cl2018  
Thank you so much! Very helpful information!

I meant also to mention that I have done a couple of webinars by Vaughan Long and Knox Wimberly. I rather like their style, which is relatively easy-going but business-like.

JAD  
I recently purchased an annual pass from Strafford. They do focused 2 hour webcasts. They get experts in that particular area. Yesterday's speakers were really good. I can maintain attention easily, unlike the brutal 8 hour webcasts. I can build up my hours pretty painlessly over time, so that I don't come up to year-end with a 40 hour deficit.

cl2018  
JAD wrote:I recently purchased an annual pass from Strafford. They do focused 2 hour webcasts. They get experts in that particular area. Yesterday's speakers were really good. I can maintain attention easily, unlike the brutal 8 hour webcasts. I can build up my hours pretty painlessly over time, so that I don't come up to year-end with a 40 hour deficit.

Thank you for the input!

dsocpa  
Bob Jennings is now Taxspeaker. He does live seminars as well as webinars and online - more of those now due to COVID.

I took a course from NCPE many many years ago when I was first starting my practice. It remains one of the best tax seminars I have ever taken. Unfortunately, the use of technology is not their forte as I've never been impressed with their website. Basically, a PDF online. NCPE comes teaches very few classes in my area.

Any of the state professional societies or national associations offer courses as well. MD uses mainly Taxspeaker and Gear UP.

JAD wrote:I recently purchased an annual pass from Strafford. They do focused 2 hour webcasts. They get experts in that particular area. Yesterday's speakers were really good. I can maintain attention easily, unlike the brutal 8 hour webcasts. I can build up my hours pretty painlessly over time, so that I don't come up to year-end with a 40 hour deficit.

I second the Strafford annual pass. The value is very compelling. I (usually) review upcoming webinars every weekend and register for the ones that interest me.

I like Checkpoint's packages

I have been using GlobalCPE and MasterCPE, though honestly, I might just renew with GlobalCPE this year and fill gaps with Surgent, for example. I spend less on CPE in a year than many CPAs spend on just a few courses.

GlobalCPE bugged me for a long time to sign up. I hesitated. But, for the cost, they have tremendous value and are always adding courses. I pay less than $400/year for unlimited live courses, webinars that can be treated as live, and self-study with GlobalCPE. I think I pay like $150/year for MasterCPE's unlimited self-study, but I am growing disappointed in their course offerings.

cl2018  
Thank you for all your information and inputs!
Just a further question: do you guys have any good suggestions on CPE providers on international tax? Tax Practice Pro. is one I used for now. Want to know more options.
Thank you again!

deniz  
I have had Strafford and CCH on demand seminars and it depends on your objective and how you approach your work. Personally, I prefer Strafford.

If you like a tax law emphasis with the tax accounting Strafford's annual pass is really a steal when compared to live tax law conferences. Fenwick and West does a bang-up job and present fairly frequently. An annual pass is around $750.

CCH is more tax accountant orientated and covers topics in a different way than Strafford does. For instance, they had a mind-numbingly detailed presentation on the compliance issues behind 263A. Around $450 as I recall but it has been a while.

If you have access to plenty of information already but are just trying to bang out hours, then there are cheaper alternatives.
Last edited by deniz on 4-May-2020 1:14pm, edited 3 times in total.

deniz  
cl2018 wrote:Thank you for all your information and inputs!
Just a further question: do you guys have any good suggestions on CPE providers on international tax? Tax Practice Pro. is one I used for now. Want to know more options.
Thank you again!

If you are looking for International Tax, definitely Strafford.

cl2018  
Thank you so much for everyone's time and efforts! very very helpful!

These are mostly free and quite good.

https://www.cpaacademy.org/

cl2018  
mdubincpa wrote:These are mostly free and quite good.

https://www.cpaacademy.org/

wow, thank you so much for sharing this website!

cl2018  
I am considering Strafford annual pass based on recommendations above. So far based on my review of their website information, it seems that Strafford does not offer 4 credits state ethics cpe.
Can anyone share affordable ethics cpe classes?
I used to use Surgent cpe for ethics. It costs $139. Anyone know cheaper options?
Thank you!

sjrcpa  
CPAacademy.org has ethics courses sometimes. Not one 4 hour one, but 1 hour ones. Free.

cl2018  
sjrcpa wrote:CPAacademy.org has ethics courses sometimes. Not one 4 hour one, but 1 hour ones. Free.

Thank you so much for sharing this!
Do these 1 one ethics cpes qualify for state required ethics? I am not sure Maryland, but here in NJ, it requires at least 4 hours NJ specific ethics credits.

sjrcpa  
I don't know. Check with them and NJ.

Next

Return to Business Operations and Development