Expedite?

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
I've never "expedited" for a fee before, please help me out....

Client,

"Hi, I know that I waited until May 3rd to contact you this year, but now I need to close on a house and we need our 2019 taxes asap. Can I pay additionally to have you expedite them?"

The client is a "normal" 1040 with a schedule C, gross receipts of about $100,000. Provides a P&L. Pays the ES vouchers I make for him as his income doesn't fluctuate too much. I get about $500 for the tax return. Time cost is 60- 90 minutes, including delivery.

I do have the time now to expedite.

Do I put him in front of other clients and not charge additionally?

Do I put him in from of other clients and charge additionally? How much?

Do I refuse to put him in front because I must honor the commitments I made to other clients who already gave me data?

A lot depends on the type of relationship you've had with that client over the years. You mentioned you do have the time now. You might consider getting it down and helping the client out as you can probably get a lot of goodwill from doing so.

I'd let the client know that they are valued, you appreciate having them as a client, and remind them your practice grows from client referrals. I probably wouldn't charge a premium but would be sure they are fully aware that you would be appreciative of any referral in the future.

What little you net, after taxes, from that surcharge could be made up in spades from the goodwill.

I would simply do his tax return and make it clear to him you value him as a client and it is a pleasure to help him.

I might take this opportunity to charge a smaller premium , say $550 and leave that price there for the future.

Let's be realistic, none of us are truly first-come, first-serve. I'd move the client to front and not add an additional fee unless it simply does longer, for some reason...

southparkcpa wrote:I would simply do his tax return and make it clear to him you value him as a client and it is a pleasure to help him.

I might take this opportunity to charge a smaller premium , say $550 and leave that price there for the future.

I second this

CathysTaxes  
I'd charge more. Since it was his suggestion. I have clients who routinely sit on their butts and everything is an emergency. From now on, I'm charging extra.
Cathy
CathysTaxes

Return to Business Operations and Development