Are you working on site or working from home

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Keyad22  
Hi everyone,

Just want to check with you. I will work on site twice a week from this week. Feel so much pressure.

Best,

I have been working onsite throughout, except for fourteen days quarantine due to my wife being tested for COVID-19. I am in a Regus office center. There are sixty offices and maybe half a dozen are occupied on any day. My client base skews elderly so I feel a need to be open for them as most of them refuse to do anything electronically. So I certainly understand the pressure you feel.

Stay safe though. Because the elevator at work is not available to visitors except between 10am and noon, I am scheduling half-hour appointments at 10:15, 11:00 and 11:45. That gives me thirty minutes to get them in and out and some time to sanitize. I am determined to be strict about that.

TaxDude  
We are working on site; have been the whole time. However, our front door is locked. We haven't allowed a client into our office since the middle of March. It's working out well and clients understand.

We have an outside parcel box clients can use to drop off or pick up paperwork, though we've finished most tax files electronically. We provide bookkeeping and payroll services, so the pick up/drop off is mostly for those services.

We have been working on site the whole time as well. Everyone has their own good size office and we have 7 people spread out over 2,000 square feet. Front Door was locked on March 16 and only the cleaning crew has been in since. I suspect it will be June 1 before the doors are unlocked. Not a single staff member missed a day of work.

It has been a slow slog since then. Normally we are at 800 returns on deadline day. This year we ended up at 654. We are up to like 712 now but I can already see a crunch coming. We have a few 3/31 corporate year ends due 7/15, plus the 1040's, plus about 5 12/31 C Corps, plus some 1041's, plus about 10 Form 8752 and our two biggest clients are 6/30 year ends who require year end planning. And who knows when the PPP forgiveness rush will be.

It will be a tough few months

ATSMAN  
It is time to prepare your significant others and children that this summer will be different and that you may have to work long hours and not be able to do the "stuff" that you normally did during summer. Hopefully they will support you.

I have a long list of chores that was made before COVID-19 and 90% of that may have to be shelved temporarily. Also our vacation plans are on hold (making everyone sad). To add insult to injury there may be a meat shortage or prices skyrocket making weekend backyard barbecues (very popular with my family) hard to organize.

ATSMAN, my wife and I had a meal with beyond meat last night. It was incredibly tasty. Sure, you can tell the difference, but I think it could do a more-than-passable impression of a hot dog. Of course, my wife did her own thing - pierogis and bok choi, which made for a very nice dish.

ATSMAN  
Have you seen the prices of Beyond Meat burgers. $170 for a 10lb bag. So far I can buy beef burgers (80/20) for $2.99/lb. Even if prices double it will be less than Beyond Meat burgers. I just hope it does not disappear totally. I am ok. with limited quantity per shopper.

Thanks for the tip ATSMAN. It looks like my wife spent about $30 at Fresh Market yesterday, some of which was on a gallon of milk. There will be a discussion in the Lost household this evening.

ATSMAN  
SumwunLost wrote:Thanks for the tip ATSMAN. It looks like my wife spent about $30 at Fresh Market yesterday, some of which was on a gallon of milk. There will be a discussion in the Lost household this evening.

If the Mrs. gets upset, try a vegan burger that is home made and less expensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpQRvv_2Jw8

Working from home is like working in molasses. We are so far all hands on deck at the office (8 people, 5000 square feet with separate offices). We are not meeting clients and seldom did anyway. Running behind even without all the extension work we usually do was not necessary yet.

ATSMAN  
You have to be very very disciplined to work from home in your PJs! No catching the news or doing a household chore when you have agreed to work certain hours for your business. Nothing that you would not normally do when you were inside your office. Treat your bedroom/den/kitchen table as your office.

Return to Business Operations and Development