Becoming an EA

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
I want to become an EA this year. I am not worried about the exams at all. But I do have concern about having to go to a test center to take the exams because of the pandemic situation. I suppose we will have to stay in the test center for a few hours each time and who knows whether the person next to you is infected or not. I have a few questions:

(1) Do we have to go to a test center to take the exams? Is there a way that we can take the exams at home?

(2) I read there are 3 exams to pass. Are the three exams to be taken in 3 different dates?

Thank you.

From my experience taking the exams in 2011, yes there were three different dates for the three exams (at the time). The point was that you had to pass #1 to go to #2. I seem to remember we were allocated 4 hours to take each exam, but I was in there for about 40 minutes each.

If the center permits it, I do not think there is anything to stop you taking all exams on the same day. Like Nightsnorkeler, I was in and out in under an hour for each exam. Especially with Ethics and Representation, you either know it or you don't.

There is no provision to take the exams at home and I have not seen anything that suggests that will change. In any case, I would be very cautious indeed. I have used an online proctoring service once, for a college course. It was a horrific experience - half an hour to check my credentials rotate my computer and move some paperwork from a desk on the other side of the room (bills for payment). I was constantly pestered to adjust the angle of my screen, which meant that I could not always read all of the screen due to glare. I had to give access to my computer and they played about with settings - so quickly that I could not see what.

Compare that with Prometric. They are civil and business-like. They treat you like a human being. Trust but verify. You take very little into the center - not even a watch or your wallet. They provide all materials for the exam - scratch paper, calculator, pencil. My impression of Prometric is that they will have decent procedures in place that respect test-takers whilst maintaining the integrity of the exams they administer.

Beagle  
I took it when it was a 13 hour exam over two days....

When I took it 10+ years ago it was with Prometric. Agree with SumwinLost about not being able to take anything in. They wouldn't even let me take in an extra cough drop or a Kleenx! Everyone had a separate cubicle. They administer a lot of different types of test...RN, construction. I'd suggest making a phone call and asking them about their procedure in light of Covid-19

I was allowed to leave a cough drop with the proctor. Mind you, at the moment, if you need a cough drop, they will probably ask you to reschedule!

Bottom Line wrote: Everyone had a separate cubicle.

That's great. The only thing is that i n case we have an inconsiderate person nearby who coughs without mask on and happens to be infected, the air will fill with his/her droplets. If you think about that, exposure to the risk is quite substantial as we have to go there three times with at least an hour of stay there each time.

That is why I am so hesitant.

So your question for Prometric is what are their protocols? The world has changed. We are facing a new normal, with new rules of etiquette. That could easily mean temperature checks and a requirement to wear a mask, as a requirement for testing. Now, that is not enough, because people can be presymptomatic or asymptomatic and still spread the virus. However, sensible protocols can mitigate the risk.

The bottom line is that, currently, the only way to take the SEE is at a Prometric site.

Return to Business Operations and Development