Eservices password change

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
The IRS initially advised me I had to change my e-file registration password every six months. They used to email me a reminder. I just checked and had not done this since July 2013, so I went in to the e-services site and while I had to update the password, I did not see any requirement to do it every six months. Does that requirement still exist? I looked around the site for answers and could not find any.

jesella  
It has required me to change my password every 6 months. I don't remember if there was an email reminder, but it has prompted me to change upon login.

I decided to check in and updated it today as it required it on login, but It has been over 18 months. Wonder what would of happened had I not done this today? I have been looking for the Pub that discusses efile registration and cannot find it. Do you by chance know the Pub number? I want to check this six month thing out now if I can find some info on the IRS site.

makbo  
Here is a link at IRS web site that mentions the 180-day password change requirement. I don't recall ever seeing a pub on this specific topic (eservices registration and maintenance). The tutorials at the eservices site have some info as well. I believe the whole registration & password management process were revised at the same time as DA and EAR were removed from eservices.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-utl/eservice ... rocess.pdf

[edit] Here's a more authoritative link, see section 3.42.8.5.4 and following:

http://www.irs.gov/irm/part3/irm_03-042-008.html

I have been registered with eservices since 2008 or so, don't remember whether I ever received an email reminder. But I have a simple calendar reminder to myself to log in once a month, just to keep an eye on things and make sure my access hasn't been compromised. I don't grab that many transcripts online, especially during tax season.

[quote="makbo"]Here is a link at IRS web site that mentions the 180-day password change requirement.

Makbo - Thanks for the link. I looked it over and found this wording in the linked document - '"10 days prior to expiration of your e-services password, IRS will send you an email. Set your own reminder to log in to e-services and change your password if you did not provide an email address during registration."

I provided an email address but stopped getting the reminders. Looks like they want it changed ever 180 days but we are on our own to remember to do it.

Frankly  
I would hazard a guess that if one forgets to change the password within the 180 period, you would be reminded when trying to log in with an expired password. Change it at that time.

Remember that if it does expire, it isn't just a phone call to get it going again. You have to apply and wait for the IRS to send you a confirmation code again. Takes a couple weeks.
Jim
Pettit Financial Services

makbo  
Re: reset after expiration. I thought the new system that involves "security questions" eliminates the wait. If you can answer the security questions you supplied at registration, I'm pretty sure it's immediate.

PDXCPA  
December 31st I did the forgot-password-process. Received confirmation letter today.

Return to Business Operations and Development