Workflow Management

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
My custom "workflow mangement" Excel file is becoming a little bit cumbersome and its limitations are becoming more glaring.

I think I might be ready to upgrade something with a little more horsepower. I have exposure to FirmFlow (aka "GoFileRoom") by Thompson Reuters from prior firms, and I'm looking for something exactly like that. i.e. Create engagements, add deliverables with due dates to said engagements, move engagements to different steps and assign team members to said steps, ability to generate reports that stratify that data. The ability to store files is a bonus.

For those of you who use FirmFlow, what is your annual cost? For how many users?

Any other suggestions?

I'm sorry that I'm not answering your question directly about the software, but I find it helps to have several pages on my excel for different types of tasks and services. Works really well.

We use Practice CS by Thomson Reuters. It works fairly well, but feels like it was designed in the mid 90’s.

I'd like something, but haven't come across anything I feel justifies the price relative to Excel and Outlook tasks. A lot of them are simply a PITA to use, or feel outdated. Also want something cloud based but readily accessible from my Desktop without signing in all the time. Probably asking too much.

CornerstoneCPA wrote:I'd like something, but haven't come across anything I feel justifies the price relative to Excel and Outlook tasks. A lot of them are simply a PITA to use, or feel outdated. Also want something cloud based but readily accessible from my Desktop without signing in all the time. Probably asking too much.

I used a pretty good excel system I setup and miss it a little bit. Once I hit 750 returns the time commitment to tracking it became a burden, and now we do over 2,000 a year so I can’t imagine going back. But I could get information out of it quickly that I could never get from Practice CS.

RazorbackCPA wrote:I used a pretty good excel system I setup and miss it a little bit. Once I hit 750 returns the time commitment to tracking it became a burden, and now we do over 2,000 a year so I can’t imagine going back. But I could get information out of it quickly that I could never get from Practice CS.

Excel works well for tracking tax returns--it is still less than 20% of my practice. I'd like something to track all of the other monthly work, but so far I just have not found anything that justifies spending more than I already spend for Office 365, and utilizing Tasks within Outlook that readily sync to all of my devices.

BFStax  
I am thinking about trying out CPApp. Find it here: https://www.cpapp.io/ It was developed by a larger CPA firm I used to rent space from. Apparently they developed it for internal use and just a couple years ago starting selling it. I am currently using Excel and feel I need something a little more robust. It seems like it can do a lot and they have three different subscription levels. I have no idea how the cost compares to any other software.

I plan on starting a trial in the next few weeks or after the July 15th deadline.

I'd like something I can connect to my e-mail, or at least forward an e-mail to, and convert it to a task with due date. I came across one that did it but cannot remember the name. May have been Intuit's new offering powered by Karbon, but I do not know that I want to be that tied to Intuit. I already use Lacerte and Quickbooks.

Office Tools has been a great solution for me. Logs and tracks all projects. Drag and drop outlook emails right into the projects to keep all docs tagged to each project. This software has saved me hundred of hours and paid for itself over and over again. Works great to track clients and send mass email.

Return to Business Operations and Development