Improving Home Office : Dell 4k 31.5 " Monitor etc

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Hi All:

Well, with COVID19 here for awhile, I'm going to invest in better equipment at home. I'm thinking of hooking my Asus zenbook laptop to this type of monitor below.

[*]Delll 4k Monitor 31.5 " Dell UltraSharp 32 4K USB-C Monitor: U3219Q
https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-ultrasharp-32-4k-usb-c-monitor-u3219q/apd/210-aqzz/monitors-monitor-accessories?gacd=9646510-1025-5761040-0-0&dgc=st&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9K-gr9OH6gIVTr7ACh3xhQsHEAQYASABEgKDMfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

A few questions:
1) Does anyone think that 4k resolution is well worth the cost ?
2) Do you think its practical to buy one large monitor , instead of using 2 or 3 monitors ?
3) Anybody else have a large monitor that they have loved ? Or maybe someone has used this one and can share their experience ?

Thanks, D

ATSMAN  
This is just my experience. I have tried large monitors and find them to be "overwhelming" to my eyes for use with my tax software for actual tax prep/accounting work. I am most comfortable with 22 to 24 inch backlit LED monitors that is soothing to the eye and desktop or credenza placement. I do have a larger TV/Monitor that has HDMI input and I have used it few times for presentation purpose.

Also spending more money or monitors with ultra fast response time for gaming purpose is not worth it because your run of the mill tax prep/accounting software does not take advantage of all those features. As a matter of fact if you increase the memory of your computer to 16GB, you may see a remarkable difference. I did that from 8GB and I am very satisfied.

BFStax  
I just purchased a new all-in-one HP Envy 32" for my home office to replace a single 24" monitor that my laptop connected to via HDMI. My issue was now working from home more (I still go to my office half the time) I felt my monitor too small to be a daily driver. Also, my desk is too small with the laptop sitting next to the monitor and needed additional space.

This computer is a beast! Aside from the fact that I upgraded to high level specs that a tax preparer doesn't need (this computer will last a long time because I future proofed it), the monitor size is fantastic. I can fit two screens side by side as if I had two monitors. It's not exactly the same because it's only 17" compared to the more typical 21" but I can still see the entire tax return and workpaper next to each other.

I looked into dual monitors and other options and felt this was my best route. Your needs may be different. As far as 4k goes, most computers don't have that resolution and therefore you can't take advantage of it anyways. You need to check what resolution your computer can display and match the monitor to it. And 4k resolution is not needed for accounting purposes either.

I have two 24" Acer HD monitors connected to a docking station in my home office. They were very reasonably priced on Amazon (a little over $100 each IIRC). I have been happy with them so far and only had one or two immaterial issues.

The cost would be the deal-breaker for me. I wouldn't spend $900 on a business monitor, but understand everyone is different.

Seems like CAD or video editing might get a lot more value out of such monitor, but I don't see it for a CPA firm.

Agree with ATSMAN, I prefer to spend the money on RAM and the processor, so the computer doesn't get bogged down with large files and spreadsheets.

Joan TB  
We just bought 3 Dell UltraSharp 24 USB-C Monitor - U2419HC and have been really happy with them. Cost = $258 each plus tax.

I don't really have room on my desk for two monitors, but the Windows split screen feature fixes that a lot of the time.

ATSMAN  
Space for two monitors on a business sized desk is at a premium for most of us. Invest in a monitor arm or stand (all under $50) that will hold two monitors from a floor stand or wall mounting near your desk so that you can have space free on your desk

I have three 32" monitors...one directly in front of me, and the ones on each side are angled toward me, to basically surround my work area. Mine are 3840x2160 resolution, but I scale to 2560x1440. I would not want 4k, not all programs scale well with it, including Quickbooks.

JAD  
The best thing that I ever purchased to increase my productivity was a standing desk. For example, this company makes one that will change height with a press of a button

https://www.evodesk.com/options-accessories

so you are not locked into one position. For me, results were better mood and increased productivity.

CornerstoneCPA wrote:I have three 32" monitors...one directly in front of me, and the ones on each side are angled toward me, to basically surround my work area. Mine are 3840x2160 resolution, but I scale to 2560x1440. I would not want 4k, not all programs scale well with it, including Quickbooks.

I remember you Cornerstone- you're the one who compared your office setup to a cockpit. There's really no task that would be too small for that type of setup. And, lets be honest, you can use this to enjoy tasteful adult entertainment - check out the latest Hard Knockers Installment with Shannon Tweed and Chester Rockwell.....Whoops... my wife might read this....I meant Downtown Abbey or Masterpiece Theater...yeah...

ATSMAN  
And, lets be honest, you can use this to enjoy tasteful adult entertainment - check out the latest .......

I am more likely to make mistakes preparing a tax return if I indulge in those activities during work hours at my desk :twisted:

migbike  
That 4K seems like a waste of money to me if you're just doing tax/accounting work on it. There are plenty of 32 inch monitors in the $200-300 range that would be just fine if you're just going for screen size. I prefer 2-3 smaller screens to one gigantic screen but it's probably just because it's what I'm used to at this point.

wel  
I use a 32" 4k television as one of the displays in my home office setup. It works great as a large monitor, but not so great for trying to replace 2 separate monitors. I have tried various tricks, and purchased the DisplayFusion application to try to improve the experience, but have ultimately concluded that separate monitors work better for me. I'll likely replace it with 2-24" monitors after 7/15.

Fortunately, I didn't purchase the television for use as a monitor. It was being under-utilized, so I repurposed it.

You may have better luck or a different experience with the Dell.

You reach a point of diminishing returns with large monitor size and resolution when it comes to actual work productivity, and it becomes better to have multiple smaller displays rather than one or two very large ones. My current three 32" setup is perfect, but I would NOT want larger monitors. Besides cost at the time, that is why I used to have a six 24" screen set up as 3x2. Every monitor was filled with something that I needed throughout the day, whether accounting software, email, Excel, inventory/warehouse management software, surveillance, web browser, messaging app for the company, etc. Problem became figuring out which screen each thing was on...was not uncommon for me to have to look at all six because I forgot where I put an application or window.

Now, e-mail and Chrome typically reside on my left screen (which is also primary to the computer). Center screen is tax/accounting/Excel/Word, right screen is basically everything else. Sometimes all three are taken up between various programs for same topic.

Webster  
No vertical monitors for PDF's or tax software?

Webster wrote:No vertical monitors for PDF's or tax software?

Nah, I prefer width in most cases. My screens are sufficiently large with high enough resolution that I can see the sections I care to see at one time by adjusting the zoom in whatever program I am using.

What does a vertical monitor do to back/neck or eye strain? Isn't there too much looking up (back/neck issues) or too much looking down (eye strain)?

Webster  
I have two vertical monitors on the right, and two horizontal monitors stacked on the left. All 27". The verticals are shorter than the overall height of the stack. The top horizontal is a bit high for continuous use, but is good for keeping odds and ends open. I don't notice a problem with the vertical monitors, unless I have to go back to using ProSeries on a horizontal one. Then I am driven crazy.

Return to Business Operations and Development