got a client who has to send 500k with his fed ext

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
zl28  
the 500k is comprised of

2019 due
1q est
2q est

makes me a little nervous to do that large sum so close to deadline.

Think should have him write a check and send fed ex?

ATSMAN  
www.eftps.gov

That is what I recommend my clients who have to make large tax payments.

The only issue is that if it is more than $25,000 you can't do same day payment. But you have over 24 hrs.

IRS DirectPay might be most convenient. Then there's EFTPS or wire. I'd hesitate to advise sending half a million dollars through the mail.

zl28  
you feel safe putting a checking account number on the irs website?

I would have him write a check and send it certified mail. At the rate things are going at the IRS, it could be quite a while before it ever clears his account. If it is in some sort of interest bearing account, he could possibly continue earning interest on it for a little while longer until it clears.

zl28 wrote:you feel safe putting a checking account number on the irs website?

Doesn't matter what I feel IMHO. What matters is explaining all available options to the client so he/she can make an informed decision.

If the client doesn't want to enter bank account info on the IRS website, the options are (1) check or money order or (2) same day wire.

sjrcpa  
Can it be done electronically through your software?

zl28  
yes, i think htat's what i am goign to opt to do...i'll get approval for the 4868 in a few hours and i thin that's my best bet - thk you!

I would go with check and certified mail. What happens if the electronic transmission does not go through on time. At least you control the mailing of the check.

zl28  
i opted to do electronically...and i quadruple checked the checking and routing #

the extensions were approved in about 2 hours....both fed and state

so as long as the $ is in the account...s/b good

hate last second stuff like this.

Anyone that sees a physical check sees the damn account number. I do not know why people think physical checks are so much safer than electronic payments.

ATSMAN  
CornerstoneCPA wrote:

Anyone that sees a physical check sees the damn account number. I do not know why people think physical checks are so much safer than electronic payments.

AMEN!

I have been recommending EFTPS for years and I don't recall any taxpayer having a misapplied or lost payment. I pay my own taxes using that. Checks are 19th century negotiable instruments when banks met at a physical location through their reps. and exchanged the checks drawn on their bank. Later they had electronic clearing. Many of my younger clients don't even have a checkbook anymore. They are so used to online payments and debit/credit card payments.

I loathe checks--sending and receiving. I only look at them, mostly, to obtain my routing and account number for paying electronically. Or, simply to piss someone off by delaying the check via USPS.

My largest client receives about half of their revenue via checks. Glad I have a scanner to transmit electronically to bank, but still a PITA compared to the electronic payments that feed right into accounting and all we have to do is check off which payments were in each deposit.

ATSMAN  
I don't handle any client checks at all. They make their check deposits via drop box at the bank or bank van that picks up their deposits. I get their bank statement electronically and then reconcile that with their ledgers.

Can you imagine the liability if I handled their deposit checks and one fell through the cracks, not to be found again!

ATSMAN wrote:I don't handle any client checks at all. They make their check deposits via drop box at the bank or bank van that picks up their deposits. I get their bank statement electronically and then reconcile that with their ledgers.

Can you imagine the liability if I handled their deposit checks and one fell through the cracks, not to be found again!

I do not mind assuming the responsibility, and they pay me a lot of money. It is USPS that loses checks. I have misplaced one in my career (knock on wood) and owned up to it. I do not let employees process client checks or deposits.

I wish checks would just go away. They no longer serve any valid purpose.

Return to Business Operations and Development