Health Insurance for Self-employed CPAs

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Gr8ful  
After over a decade of having a career and building a tax practice on the side, I am contemplating leaving the corporate world. Due to furloughs it may not be a choice I get to make but I am a planner so it is good to know my options. Being in my late 40's with a wife and 3 young teens, health insurance is the biggest question I have. Thankfully the tax business has grown due to a lot of hard work so the income will cover our normal bills...but again let's discuss healthcare.

Does anyone have recommendations/experience/rough estimates on health insurance for a family of 5. I am in NC but input from anywhere is appreciated. Unfortunately the wife has bad knees so I am sure we will need good insurance to eventually cover knee replacements. Am I doomed?

Does the AICPA offer any coverage? Thanks much for any and all input!!

I go through the federal exchange: https://www.healthcare.gov/

However, it's just me right now, not married and no dependents. No employees.

Gr8ful wrote:Does the AICPA offer any coverage?

Health insurance? I don't think so... They do offer E&O, life, and disability through partner programs.

Gr8ful  
Thanks Man(vsTax)! Yes I use them for E&O, life and disability....would have hoped they had a program for healthcare too!

cp_acwt  
I was going to tell you to try your state society, but I looked on the NC state society and I don't see any insurance offers.

Gr8ful wrote:After over a decade of having a career and building a tax practice on the side, I am contemplating leaving the corporate world. Due to furloughs it may not be a choice I get to make but I am a planner so it is good to know my options. Being in my late 40's with a wife and 3 young teens, health insurance is the biggest question I have. Thankfully the tax business has grown due to a lot of hard work so the income will cover our normal bills...but again let's discuss healthcare.

Does anyone have recommendations/experience/rough estimates on health insurance for a family of 5. I am in NC but input from anywhere is appreciated. Unfortunately the wife has bad knees so I am sure we will need good insurance to eventually cover knee replacements. Am I doomed?

Does the AICPA offer any coverage? Thanks much for any and all input!!

It's a real issue for all of us and our clients. I use BC/BS of NC. I am very satisfied with my coverage but I am in a totally different situation than you.

They give free quotes on their website.

Look at your clients W2's, their employers health costs can be 16 to 24K. THAT is what you should be prepared to pay unfortunately.

Need to build it into your budget.

Gr8ful  
Thanks Southpark!

Ken

Also check with your local business league or rotary, a lot of times they offer recommendations

ATSMAN  
I ended up buying from the state Health Exchange because all the professional affiliation offers were basically "junk" insurance. Some of them were not even insurance but glorified "discount and coupon" programs to use certain networks of providers etc.

You have to do your homework and it is time consuming and signing up can be frustrating especially with the limited time open enrollment period.

Depending where in NC you are, you may find that BCBSNC is the only game in town. If you are close to a UNC-affiliate hospital, United Healthcare (UMR) is probably an option as well, as that is what the UNC affiliates use for their own employees. Mind you, I believe the employee co-pays and co-insurance for using UNC and UNC-affiliate providers are heavily subsidized. My wife works for a UNC affiliate and we have had to change some providers because they were not a UNC provider and we simply could no longer afford them.

Health insurance costs big money, whichever way you look at it. Either you pay the big premiums and get good coverage or you pay a smaller premium and take on risk. My wife and I went onto a HSA-compliant plan a few years ago, because that is what her employer was encouraging all employees to do. They gave pretty good incentives to do so. Then the cost difference narrowed and we moved back to the high-premium plan. It still doesn't cover as much as it did, but overall we are happy that we did so. Like your wife, we expect to make good use of our plan in the next few years.

My biggest gripe is that they strictly control which medications get the lower co-pays. I think all insurance companies have moved that way. My wife has to go through regular re-appraisals to continue getting meds paid for (in part) by the insurance company. For one med, the insurance will only cover a certain number of doses per month, even though the doctor has written a prescription for a higher number. We pay for the rest out of pocket. So, if medications are part of your life, or you think they will be in the future, you need to get a copy of the formulary from the insurance company before you sign up. Prescriptions (and OTC that used to be prescription) are our biggest medical expense for which we are responsible.

Gr8ful  
Thanks much to everyone. Not fun, but a part of the game I guess!

I'm in FL. You can look at Healthcare.gov but also look at other sites. I found that Healthcare.gov only offered limited plans at basically the same price as elsewhere. I'd only go to Healthcare.gov if you qualified for a premium credit.
Healthcare.gov and Medishare will drive you nuts with continual marketing.
Important (at least in FL) - Before you sign with a plan, contact your doctors and hospital to make sure they take that plan. It's not enough to ask "do you take Blue Cross?" You have to specify which exact plan.
Just because your doctor/hospital takes your plan this year, doesn't mean that they will take your plan next year. Be prepared to do your shopping from scratch each fall.
You may want to look at short-term plans. In FL, you can get them for 360 days and the rates are significantly less.

If NC is like SC, BC/BS is basically the only player. It'll cost you a lot. One of my clients has three employees on group coverage and they are paying nearly $34k/year and it goes up every single year. I am told we are currently in a situation where group coverage is costing less than individual plans (per person, I mean), whereas it has historically cost more.

Agree with contacting care providers and pharmacies to verify they accept a specific plan, not simply insurer. Insurance is one of the biggest ripoffs in the world, IMO, but God forbid something happens and we do NOT have insurance. It sickens me what everyone pays for various insurances.

Gr8ful  
Thanks Cornerstone!

I'm on the Exchange, but I'm single. If I had a wife and three kids I would look very, very strongly at whatever my wife had from her employer and either get on her plan, or consider having her and the kids on that plan while I have a single plan.

Return to Business Operations and Development