QB on line payroll

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
I have an e-mail from Intuit that is kind of confusing. I've been doing payroll in QB for a really long time using the Accountants level of payroll feature and in desk top versions. The e-mail is discussing changes coming in October to QB Online Payroll. The costs illustrated are substantially different from what I pay. What's confusing me is whether or not this is an across the board change, i.e., are they making a change to what I use? Or is this for only online versions of QB, which I don't use? It's not clearly written and I'm worried it's a little bit of a trick to get people to sign on for online services which Intuit would rather move people to. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

CrowCPA  
I don't offer payroll service but a bookkeeper I often work with does. He tells me he would never use QB online payroll because it is too expensive. I have one client who uses it but I don't know how much he pays.

cp_acwt  
I use both QB Desktop payroll and QB Online Payroll for Accountants. I looked through my emails and cannot find the one you mention. The desktop payroll license allows me to process payroll for up to 50 companies I think. There is no such thing for the Online payroll. The price changes based on the number of companies you have and the number of items processed in each company. I can't see QB Online payroll replacing Desktop payroll anytime soon. Desktop payroll is more robust than the online version.

sjrcpa  
I got the email but I don't do payroll. I made no attempt to understand what they were saying.

Sounds like there are definitely two different versions of payroll just like two different versions of QB. One is an online version, which the e-mail is discussing and which I do not use. The other is the desk top version which I have used for years and this e-mail doesn't have anything to do with that version.

I just don't trust Intuit sometimes when it comes to the online vs desk top issues. I think they would really like to eliminate the desk top activities even though generally they are much better. I don't know why they can't just put more energy into improving their online versions to work as well. There are compelling reasons for being able to utilize an online system, but not at the expense of quality and functionality. Not to mention cost.
Last edited by actionbsns on 26-Aug-2020 1:24pm, edited 1 time in total.

I have not seen any emails on the subject. While as a ProAdvisor I can add 50 companies to my payroll account for QBD, QBO requires me to pay for each one. Thus, I tend to use QBD for payroll and do journal entries in QBO to save me and clients money. I only run payroll in QBO for one company...it works, but I prefer having the absolute control QBD allows vs. everything being automated in QBO.

Can you post the gist of the e-mail so we can determine what Intuit may be up to?

This is it:

Dear Valued Partner,

Thank you for trusting QuickBooks with your payroll needs. We appreciate your business and we are committed to ensuring your success with our products and services.

We are excited to announce that the transition to our enhanced suite of QuickBooks Online Payroll products for your firm and your clients will start on or after October 1, 2020. As a result of these updates, you and your clients will be receiving access to exciting new features that you've been asking for to make running payroll even easier.

EXCEPTION: Firms and clients that also use TSheets will not transition until on or after March 1, 2021. We will send additional information closer to that time.

Below are some of the key dates to be aware of, but we encourage you to bookmark and check Firm of the Future regularly for the most up-to-date information.

Here's a summary of changes your clients will experience:

The transition for clients will occur on or after November 1, 2020. If they also use TSheets, it will occur on or after March 1, 2021.

Are you a ProAdvisor or registered as a QBO Accountant (QBOA)?

No to both questions.

I just received the e-mail. They're changing the payroll services, again, and increasing fees.

I hate QBO Payroll so am likely going to switch all clients to QBD Payroll (only a couple are even on QBO Payroll)l, and I will simply do journal entries to record the information in QBO. QBD will de relied upon for everything else--I like the control I have, I can modify payroll reports if needed, and easily submit EFTPS payments without having Intuit control everything.

Here is a link to an image of the e-mail body: https://www.cornerstonecpasolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Intuit.jpg

I got that one yesterday, too. When you initially look at it, it sounds like it's an across the board switch. But QBD payroll isn't subscription based and the fees shown seem to be exactly that. I only use QBD for all the reasons that have been mentioned. I had one client who used the online version for one year (they were using a MAC at the time) and it was so screwed up, they went and bought a PC so we could run the books on it and access QBD payroll. Anyway, I don't know why I'm getting these e-mail, they sound like they are glad to inform me of their changes to a product I actually use.

BFStax  
CornerstoneCPA wrote:While as a ProAdvisor I can add 50 companies to my payroll account for QBD, QBO requires me to pay for each one.

I am a ProAdvisor and didn't know we had access to that type of service. What level service does that provide? Is it full level including tax return prep?

BFStax wrote:
I am a ProAdvisor and didn't know we had access to that type of service. What level service does that provide? Is it full level including tax return prep?

No, I pay something like $75/mo for the privilege and it just allows payroll module access in QBD (I prefer being in control--whenever I have had others do payroll or payroll reports, they end up royally ****ed up). I charge clients either $125 or $150/year for access to my payroll subscription (can't recall, my payroll fees changed this year and I do not do payroll for many clients), which is A LOT less than they can pay through any other source with Intuit.

Return to Business Operations and Development