IRS Third Party Designee Checkbox

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Does this third party designee checkbox authorize only the individual signing the return or does it also include other tax preparers employed by the firm? In other words does it designate the firm as a whole or only a the specific individual listed as paid preparer?

I've had mixed success calling the IRS about misapplied payments, etc. when I am not listed as the paid preparer. It seems some IRS employees make the connection that I'm associated to the firm listed on the return and discuss the issue with me. Other IRS employees insist on only speaking to the paid preparer.

sjrcpa  
I believe it is only the designated individual.

ATSMAN  
On my software there is a checkbox that the Paid Preparer is also the third party designee. So whatever name appears at the bottom of 1040 as the paid preparer that automatically becomes the designee.

There is a separate tab to setup Paid Preparer and ERO etc.

On the 2019 Form 1040, Third Party Designee section, it asks this question: Do you want to allow another person (other than your paid preparer) to discuss this return with the IRS? [Emphasis Added]

We can infer that checking the third party designee box in the preparer section only authorizes the named preparer to discuss the tax return, not all employees or agents of the firm.

In recent years agents have started asking for the SSN of the named preparer to confirm that who they are talking to is indeed the named preparer.

Return to Business Operations and Development