idea?

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
zl28  
have some qb work that needs to be done

i'm behind on my work

i have this off site bookkeeper

she uses apple

i use windows

she doesn't have antivirus on her computer - annoying

i'd like her to do a screen share with my computer so she can do quickbooks remotely

but i dont' want virus risk

any ideas?

Think insurance. Think your Wrtten Data Security Plan.

People still naively believe Macs do not need antivirus/anti-malware software. Not the case, at all. They are routinely infected and you are correct to be concerned about something potentially being transmitted even with a screen share, particularly if you accidentally share local resources such as if Microsoft's Remote Desktop is used.

If she is your hired bookkeeper (meaning you can exert control), demand she installs an antivirus and anti-malware to your liking, even if you pay for it. Otherwise, don't let her do the work, IMO.

ATSMAN  
If she is your hired bookkeeper (meaning you can exert control), demand she installs an antivirus and anti-malware to your liking, even if you pay for it. Otherwise, don't let her do the work, IMO.

If this bookkeeper expects you to pay for antivirus on their system, refuse to do business. You could expose yourself to serious liability should a data breach occur and you knew that the system was not adequately protected.

I have been invited to access my own client's network to do some work and I refuse it. I want them to download to me the files that I need and then I scan it with Norton before opening the file. I am not going to risk my network.

Check with your E&O carrier first before you sign on the dotted line.

ATSMAN wrote:
If this bookkeeper expects you to pay for antivirus on their system, refuse to do business. You could expose yourself to serious liability should a data breach occur and you knew that the system was not adequately protected.

Let me rephrase. He indicated off-site, so that could be an off-site employee or an independent contractor. If EMPLOYEE, pay for it and solve the issue. If independent contractor, demand she gets software to his satisfaction or not use them anymore.

ATSMAN  
I understood that the off site bookkeeper was independent. Perhaps my misunderstanding.

If it is an employee then OP MUST take the responsibility to secure his and his employees computer. He is responsible for the consequences. No ifs and buts!

sjrcpa  
And if you have an independent contractor work on your clients, you have a duty to vet their security protocols.
I would not have this person work for me without, at a minimum, antivirus software.

zl28  
ty all for comments....one idea i have is to send her an inexpensive laptop i own which has my anti-virus on there.

ATSMAN  
ty all for comments....one idea i have is to send her an inexpensive laptop i own which has my anti-virus on there.

Is this offsite bookkeeper your employee?

zl28  
no she has her own roster of clients

ATSMAN  
zl28, if this bookkeeper is not your employee then why are you giving her your laptop to use with your clients?

Did you consider the risks?

What if that laptop was used to visit infected sites and even with an installed anti-virus there is no 100% guarantee that it will be safe. Then that laptop is used with your client records and let's say a malware infects and data is compromised. It is your laptop that you gave her to use. Who do you think will be held responsible? Don't shoot yourself in the foot. Please check with your E&O carrier if that has an impact on coverage.

I say don't do it. If she is an independent contractor, have her use her own equipment and you can specify in your agreement what type of security concerns must be addressed.

Return to Business Operations and Development