Being mobile

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Tax_Man  
I am considering traveling full time in my motorhome. Right now I have few clients because I can be picky.

Question(s)
1. Using QB portals and such for document handling. Good/bad/other?
2. How would you collect fees?
3. Using UPS for mail forwarding? Would that cause a problem with receiving IRS notices, etc?

Trying to make this as virtual as possible. I have a fax service for receiving stuff when necessary.

Probably not asking the right questions but would appreciate input.
Enrolled Agent
16 years with IRS (retired in 2019 with 32 years Government service). 15 years business consulting.
If you are not having fun in your career, change your career...

ATSMAN  
I knew a fellow that was a mobile tax preparer (now completely out of business). He had a conversion van and had a power inverter that powered his computer and printer at the back of the van. Basically his niche market was home bound taxpayers and seniors. He parked his van in the client's driveway and either used his inverter or ran an extension power cord and prepared tax returns right on their property. He only accepted cash or credit card. I think he had satellite internet service because there was a dish on top of his van.

His specials of the day was $100 for a standard return and $150 for itemized!

He had quite a following in our area. So it can be done if you have the right business model.

Tax_Man  
ATSMAN, I would be more mobile. Thinking clients in Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota with me in a campground, KOA, beach in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, etc.

I guess it would not be too much different than the "big box shops".
Enrolled Agent
16 years with IRS (retired in 2019 with 32 years Government service). 15 years business consulting.
If you are not having fun in your career, change your career...

If you implement an online invoicing and collection system, that might alleviate #2.

How do you currently get paid? Check?

ATSMAN  
Some campgrounds have hookup for internet/cable TV etc. so it is possible to establish a home base there for the tax season and deal with local clients and others online. They don't know where you are parked unless you tell them.

If you use the same campground, you may be able to get your mail there too. Either at that address or a PO box.

BTW my neighbor sold his house and purchased a 35 footer camper that he hauls with his Diesel pickup truck. During the winter he lives with his son locally and then he is off exploring America!

Return to Business Operations and Development