Turbo Tax engaging experienced tax preparers

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
philly  
Has anyone in the group done any work as an independent consultant for Turbo Tax ? I was curious about the compensation to consultants . I noticed on the turbo tax web site that a taxpayer can get assistance from an experienced preparer.

I wouldn't think it would be high...

Googling "How much do Intuit Tax experts make?" refers me to Glassdoor. Which gives a range of $18-26 per hour.

If you need something definitive you'll probably have to call Intuit.

https://www.accountingweb.com/community ... snt-for-me

He said that the compensation was $17 an hour and $22 an hour if I had to prepare a tax return. Then at the end of tax season I would get a $3,000 bonus if I worked more than 20 hours a week. ...compensation was based on where you live.

AlexCPA  
I discussed the opportunity with them about two years ago. If memory serves, they were offering $28.00 an hour at the time. I felt that the compensation was far too low and did not move forward.
Even more of my antics may be found on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXDitB ... sMwfO19h7A

ATSMAN  
AlexCPA wrote:I discussed the opportunity with them about two years ago. If memory serves, they were offering $28.00 an hour at the time. I felt that the compensation was far too low and did not move forward.

I am surprised they don't have folks in India working for $1/hr answering questions :twisted:

novacpa  
TT Intuit highly prizes the term "CPA";they full well know how valuable the public appreciates the Credential.
The very reason we see their TV ads "talk to a CPA - live - to help you with your taxes".
In hushed tones the ad says, "or other tax professional".
Buy Turbo Tax, call the 800-line get a CPA to guide you through all of your tax preparation
- all for a cheap-oh price of under $100, presumably for as long as you want (hours on the phone if necessary).
Much better than actually hiring a CPA, right? And paying hourly rates of $200/$300.
Here's the actual ad:
Get unlimited tax advice from a CPA or EA
and even a line-by-line review of your return
before you file. Guaranteed done right.
All for so little cost to the customer.

I'm looking for customer satisfaction surveys, can't seem to find them.

novacpa  
Here's a consumer review:
"One of TurboTax’s most outstanding support options is TurboTax Live. It offers a one-on-one review with a CPA or enrolled agent before you file, as well as unlimited live tax advice. They’ll even sign and e-file your tax return if you want. You can make an appointment or talk on the fly to a tax pro via one-way video (you see them, but they don’t see you; they just see your screen). To boot, you can get tax advice year-round with TurboTax Live."

novacpa  
Reviews of TurboTax - from Nerd Wallet - much anger hahahaha.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/taxes/turbotax-review/

I did a pilot program for a Turbo Tax competitor. It was fun to do, but I got frustrated at dealing with people who should really have been using a professional and thought the 'phone help would be a substitute. The rate of pay I was offered to go part-time seasonal with them was considerably more than what Turbo Tax seems to be offering.

I daresay if one is either at the start or end of a career, it can be something to keep the mind active, but it wasn't for me.

novacpa  
I love the TT reviews - angry TT users pay $100 upcharge to talk with a CPA/EA and wait (yes really) 4/5 hours on hold.
They are pissed.

Derby  
EY has a newer virtual tax prep offering known as "Tax Chat". I worked a season when they were starting out. Hourly rate was good for me at the time, far better than Intuit was offering but I couldn't tell you if it's the same today. Highly seasonal - most of the work was in March on my team; in February for some of the other teams that handled simpler returns.
I don't see their hiring ads up yet, maybe they've outsourced completely to India now.

AlexCPA  
Just spoke with Intuit again regarding this program. Initially, they mentioned that they were looking for a minimum commitment of 20 hours per week. However, during the call I was told that the minimum was actually 35 hours per week for a good portion of busy season. And the compensation? $26.00 per hour (albeit with a possible $3,000 "bonus" at the end of the busy season). I honestly don't know how any licensed professional, even one living in a low cost-of-living area, could justify working for such a low rate.
Even more of my antics may be found on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXDitB ... sMwfO19h7A

ATSMAN  
However, during the call I was told that the minimum was actually 35 hours per week for a good portion of busy season. And the compensation? $26.00 per hour

One of my young nephew is a Truck Mechanic with just 1.5 yrs experience and that is his pay rate without a college degree!

Webster  
A good mechanic is generally expected to obtain a collection of tools of similar value to a college degree, though.

AlexCPA wrote:And the compensation? $26.00 per hour (albeit with a possible $3,000 "bonus" at the end of the busy season). I honestly don't know how any licensed professional, even one living in a low cost-of-living area, could justify working for such a low rate.

I don't know how any licensed professional could spend any amount of time pursuing and considering that rate.

CathysTaxes  
Maybe a retiree might consider this.
Cathy
CathysTaxes

ATSMAN  
Webster wrote:A good mechanic is generally expected to obtain a collection of tools of similar value to a college degree, though.

After TCJA mechanics can't deduct tools if they itemize but if one gets a college degree they may be able to deduct/tax credit tuition costs under various methods.

I have clients that spend anywhere between $2000 to $5000 on tools each year. But can't deduct!

CathysTaxes wrote:Maybe a retiree might consider this.

Sure Cathy. Perhaps I shouldn't have been so dogmatic. I just would like to think most people on TPT are worth much more than that.

CathysTaxes  
ManVsTax wrote:
CathysTaxes wrote:Maybe a retiree might consider this.

Sure Cathy. Perhaps I shouldn't have been so dogmatic. I just would like to think most people on TPT are worth much more than that.

Oh we definitely are worth more than that but that's pocket change or could help extend someone's retirement fund. I can't see an active tax professional working for that.
Cathy
CathysTaxes

ATSMAN  
A friend of mine is a retired accountant. He had his own shop for 25 years and then sold it to his employee. He still dabbles in tax return preparation for friends and some select old clients. I think about 20 in total and he tells me that he does that just to keep his mind sharp (he is 72 years old). He had a conversation with TT couple of years back and told them he is not interested based on the hours commitment required and the low pay rate. He still likes to go fishing and hunting with his grand kids and enjoy life on his own terms rather than stuck in an office waiting for phone calls!

Next

Return to Business Operations and Development