How can I find a business coach?

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
TaxDude  
I’m looking for a professional consultant that can review my business model, including practice and procedures, fee structure, client base, etc. and provide guidance and suggestions on where I can improve my workflow and practice in general. I feel that we are inefficient because I work way too many hours (even in the off season) and we cannot seem to keep up with our workload. I think an outside pair of eyes can quickly figure out what’s wrong and hopefully provide suggestions for improvement.

Have any of you ever received this kind of service? Or have any experience in this field? Do you know where I can look for a qualified consultant?

Ultimately, when it is your firm the path to working less and making more is about delegation and leading and pursuing the proper client base. Every business coach is going to tell you that.

On personal development side, Dave Ferguson is well respected (his address appears out of Davidson, NC, when you search "Dave Ferguson business coach"). I have met him, he spoke at an event for a Leadership group I am in and he also lives a about 10 minutes from me much of the year.

Another is Salim Omar, who IS a CPA and certainly has lived what you described. He has various books on it and does coaching, if I recall correctly.

TaxDude  
Ah delegation - that's definitely my biggest problem. I'll look up Salim Omar and perhaps start with his books.

Thanks Cornerstone!

MWEA  
Also, check out Rootworks. They have a monthly coaching program for $650/month (annual commitment), however, there are a ton of best practices/procedures included.

TaxDude  
Thanks MWEA. They seem to be just what I was looking for. How do you know about them? Have you used them before?

Go to Sterling.us

Sterling seems to be the name that has been around for 40 years helping pros delegate work and bill more efficiently. He has webinars, classes, etc

MWEA  
TaxDude wrote:Thanks MWEA. They seem to be just what I was looking for. How do you know about them? Have you used them before?

I've been a member for almost a year. It's been a great community of people that are like minded and trying to grow their business. It's changed a number of procedures in my small office and how we approach growth. It's geared only to accountants, so the advice is very specific to our industry. I highly recommend them.

MWEA wrote:
TaxDude wrote:Thanks MWEA. They seem to be just what I was looking for. How do you know about them? Have you used them before?

I've been a member for almost a year. It's been a great community of people that are like minded and trying to grow their business. It's changed a number of procedures in my small office and how we approach growth. It's geared only to accountants, so the advice is very specific to our industry. I highly recommend them.

I went to "Strategic Coach" many years ago. VERY expensive BUT well worth it.

My income doubled, work decreased etc... it's about systemizing, specializing, turning away clients that don't fit your niche.
Never compromise your time off.. budget X hours for planning.

Identify your best 10 clients, document their attributes , find the commonalities and seek out new clients that meet that criteria.

I didn't even realize I was learning... it happened slowly.

a strategic coach could be good for sure. I have one I speak to a few times a year.

Optimum solutions is who I work with and the professional is Ira Rosenbloom.

Here are some other thoughts.

See if your local state Society has a management of accounting Practice Group. This is a group of Partners and sole Proprietors from different accounting firms who come together to collaborate on how their best practices work and provide feedback.

I have been part of my group for 10 years now and love it. I obtained mentors and definitely changed processes in our company because of learning from them.

Read The Books of emyth and built to sell. You'll probably have to read them three four five times over the years. Little by little it will start to make you think about making changes to grow your business. Good luck

Return to Business Operations and Development