Adding an EIN to QB desktop payroll subscription

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
I need to add a client to my QB payroll subscription and it seems that it used to be a fairly simple thing to do, but I haven't added a new person for a pretty long time. It looks like Intuit has taken the ease out of doing this and made it very complicated. I have the Accountants Enhanced payroll, so there is plenty of room for the addition. I'm hoping someone can offer some guidance. Cornerstone, I saw that you are using QB payroll for this, any suggestions?

QBO or QBD? It does not apply to QBO, only QBD. You do it by creating a new company under your accountant license in QBD, and then go through the process of adding payroll to that company (client) by entering your firm's credentials, which then associates the EIN with your payroll subscription. When in QBD and you select add payroll services, it will prompt you for an Intuit account to associate the payroll with, so that is why I say to enter your credentials. It will ask you to confirm and then voila, it is associated to your payroll subscription by way of your QBD accountant license.

I only use QBO Payroll for one client. Otherwise, it is simpler and cheaper to run payroll through QBD and simply do journal entries in QBO, as needed.

Thanks for the response Cornerstone. This is a client who has been around for a long time. They have always paid for their own payroll subscription, but it's gotten really expensive for them at about $700 annually. I should be able to add them to my subscription and save them a bit. I know I've done it in the past, but it just doesn't seem as simple now and I did have a message that said I had to involve QB tech support.

It is not supported if you are trying to add YOUR payroll subscription to THEIR QBD license. There was a period this was allowed, but it stopped at least 4 years ago. It has to be the same QBD licenses associated with your payroll account--they want it being done in-house, not shared with clients, externally.

Perhaps an alternative would be to use Intuit Online Payroll for Accounting Professionals?

We use this for several clients and it all exports nicely into QBD.

Patriot Payroll is also an alternative to Intuit.

Return to Business Operations and Development