Tax preparer system failure

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Hi, everyone. I've been retired for a year now and am SO greatful to have missed the 2020 filing season!

I'm hearing of tax preparer "system failure" this year - all client data having been on hand for months and months, but the work simply not having gotten done and out the door by the final 10/15 due date.

I''ve heard of this in past years from time to time - preparer experiencing death in the family, sudden illness, or both. But I believe it's been extremely rare.

Is it more common this year, given the worldwide pandemic, do you all think?

ATSMAN  
all client data having been on hand for months and months, but the work simply not having gotten done and out the door by the final 10/15 due date.

Hopefully the tax preparer has good E&O coverage!

It has been more challenging with the extended deadline, because some folks did not have a sense of urgency.

Yes, I'm hearing the lack of sense of urgency from others as well.

I have heard of preparers being M.I.A. this season and stories of documents being delivered in March, then radio silence through October. Emails and phone calls go unanswered.

One preparer had all of their clients prepay... Not a good look IMO.

The month of June was very tough for me. Client motivation flat-lined from the date of postponement announcement through early July it seems. I took almost a week off for the Fourth, and everyone that was not filed before I left was put on extension after discussion. I wasn't going to stress during vacation thinking about the compressed week that I'd have to go back to.

Fall was same old same old. A couple of procrastinators who gave me a lot of stress, but we got everyone filed away on or before 10/15.

What a year it's been for you all!

Return to Business Operations and Development