Out of State Employee?

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
I have gotten to the point that I need help, especially with the administrative/back office things.

Over the past couple of months, I have brought on a family member to help with some of the smaller things, and have been paying this individual via check. From all angles this individual was acting as an independent contractor, and that's how I have treated the relationship so far.

Now, I am considering giving this individual more workload, and believe the relationship is trending more toward employee (e.g. dictating how the work is done, hard deadlines on certain work, beginning to create log-ins for this individual on some of my cloud-based software, etc).

I am considering the need to put the worker on payroll. As stated, they reside in a different state than me, and all work is performed from their state of residence. Does anyone here have any experience with this matter? I imagine I need to register with the other state's department of labor.

The other state uses a single sales factor apportionment, so the worker won't create apportionment issues for me.

I am not worried about background or credit checks. As stated, this is a family member.

sjrcpa  
Register as an employer with other state-for unemployment and withholding.
ManVsTax wrote:The other state uses a single sales factor apportionment, so the worker won't create apportionment issues for me.
Are you sure? This person doesn't generate any revenue?

Thanks for commenting sjr.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. The state in question is single-sales factor, market-based sourcing. Revenue for this particular state's apportionment formula is sourced to whatever state the client receives the benefit of the service in. So adding employees or property investment in this state will have no bearing on my income tax exposure to said state.

If it was single-sales factor, cost-of-performance, the math may be impacted.

Am I still missing something?

sjrcpa  
No.

ATSMAN  
Over the past couple of months, I have brought on a family member to help with some of the smaller things, and have been paying this individual via check. From all angles this individual was acting as an independent contractor, and that's how I have treated the relationship so far.

Are you absolutely sure that this person is an independent contractor. I had a family member helping me during tax season to do clerical functions and she was a part time employee. Fortunately for me we both live in the same state, but if this person lived in the neighboring state, I think she would have to file as a non-resident in my state.

From IRS Website

To better determine how to properly classify a worker, consider these three categories – Behavioral Control, Financial Control and Relationship of the Parties.

Behavioral Control: A worker is an employee when the business has the right to direct and control the work performed by the worker, even if that right is not exercised. Behavioral control categories are:

Type of instructions given, such as when and where to work, what tools to use or where to purchase supplies and services. Receiving the types of instructions in these examples may indicate a worker is an employee.
Degree of instruction, more detailed instructions may indicate that the worker is an employee. Less detailed instructions reflects less control, indicating that the worker is more likely an independent contractor.
Evaluation systems to measure the details of how the work is done points to an employee. Evaluation systems measuring just the end result point to either an independent contractor or an employee.
Training a worker on how to do the job -- or periodic or on-going training about procedures and methods -- is strong evidence that the worker is an employee. Independent contractors ordinarily use their own methods.

Financial Control: Does the business have a right to direct or control the financial and business aspects of the worker's job? Consider:

Significant investment in the equipment the worker uses in working for someone else.
Unreimbursed expenses, independent contractors are more likely to incur unreimbursed expenses than employees.
Opportunity for profit or loss is often an indicator of an independent contractor.
Services available to the market. Independent contractors are generally free to seek out business opportunities.
Method of payment. An employee is generally guaranteed a regular wage amount for an hourly, weekly, or other period of time even when supplemented by a commission. However, independent contractors are most often paid for the job by a flat fee.

Relationship: The type of relationship depends upon how the worker and business perceive their interaction with one another. This includes:

Written contracts which describe the relationship the parties intend to create. Although a contract stating the worker is an employee or an independent contractor is not sufficient to determine the worker’s status.
Benefits. Businesses providing employee-type benefits, such as insurance, a pension plan, vacation pay or sick pay have employees. Businesses generally do not grant these benefits to independent contractors.
The permanency of the relationship is important. An expectation that the relationship will continue indefinitely, rather than for a specific project or period, is generally seen as evidence that the intent was to create an employer-employee relationship.
Services provided which are a key activity of the business. The extent to which services performed by the worker are seen as a key aspect of the regular business of the company.

ATSMAN wrote:Are you absolutely sure that this person is an independent contractor.

For all work done in the past, yes I am. I don't really wish to go down that rabbit hole. I'm fine there. As noted, the relationship is trending more toward employee as I am starting to exercise control over how and when the work is done, and provide software access.

If you have a CPA firm license in your home state I would be aware of the rules for what this person can do in the other non-licensed state. For example what if he works on a compilation. Are you doing business in that state as an unlicensed CPA firm?

That's a really good point Terry. Thank you.

This person will be doing strictly administrative work. Proofing and drafting e-blasts, putting together engagement letter templates in December, pulling and preparing engagement letters then sending for e-signature, etc.

No compilation, no tax return prep. All admin back office stuff.

I will look into the matter however. It's a worth a phone call to the other state's board.

Good information here.

I have an employer-client that retained an employee who moved about 1,000 miles away. We registered them as an out of state employer and have been paying SUTA, state withholding, and local tax withholding for that employee and his state.

It’s been going on for nearly 10 years and we never registered the employer for income tax. Something we should consider, as they are a revenue generating employee. Though all the revenue is digitally delivered back to the employer’s state for that state’s clients.

We’ve ignored the apportionment for too long, frankly because profits are low. States are getting more aggressive and we need to review the requirements.

Return to Business Operations and Development