wondering how many of you are

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
zl28  
Comfortable with putting your document manager in the cloud?

ATSMAN  
Absolutely NOT :x

All of my documents are already in the cloud via OneDrive. Same with the DMS I use for clients.

zl28  
is One Drive secure?

can i ask what dms you use?

zl28 wrote:is One Drive secure?

can i ask what dms you use?

Only as secure as you allow it to be based on your passwords and if your personal devices are encrypted or not. At rest and in-transit, Microsoft encrypts the data. I feel far more confident in the security of my systems than what I see at the average CPA firm.

OneDrive in-transit encryption is "Client communication with the server Communication to OneDrive for Business across the Internet uses SSL/TLS connections. All SSL connections are established using 2048-bit keys."

OneDrive at-rest encryption is "Encryption at rest includes two components: BitLocker disk-level encryption and per-file encryption of customer content.

BitLocker is deployed for OneDrive for Business and SharePoint Online across the service. Per-file encryption is also in OneDrive for Business and SharePoint Online in Microsoft 365 multi-tenant and new dedicated environments that are built on multi-tenant technology."

My DMS is SmartVault but I only use it for certain things. If it is not a client exchange, I use OneDrive because I like creating my own folder structure and I can find what I need from any device with minimal effort. I can with SmartVault, too, but I just prefer my approach for my own reasons.

zl28  
Good info - thank you!

I currently keep all executed engagement letters in the cloud. They are in a folder on ShareFile that only I currently have access to. I like that they're offsite and Citrix is responsible for maintaining the integrity of those files.

I have been toying with the idea of backing up client tax returns on ShareFile, and may implement this before January, but I have a lot of irons in the fire right now.

All employee accounts (including mine) for my ShareFile must use two-factor authentication. I also have created very strong password requirements for both employees and clients. Agree with Cornerstone that it all comes down to your practices.

My DMS is local on a Synology NAS. 4 drive RAID. Up to 2 drives can fail and data integrity won't be comprised as long as they are replaced and the RAID is allowed to rebuild before a 3rd fails.

My concern is that online DMS would be hard to allow collaboration on the tax prep side. I'm sure there's a way to address this, but I don't have time to figure that out right now and it's not a priority for me.

ShareFile.

Security is as good as your practices.

Also, in our engagement letter, we indicate that we do not guarantee the storage of client documents (though we do try to store them for clients).

Return to Business Operations and Development