Returning Calls to Decline Business

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Preppie  
I have it posted to my website that I am not taking additional clients this year, but I still get some voicemails requesting tax service. I always return the call to let them know I am not taking additional clients and to recommend a colleague who is. It seems like a professional way to practice. Plus, you never know if they were referred by an existing client that it makes sense to keep happy.

I returned a call today and when I said "I may have a colleague who can take you on...", I was interrupted with, "You called me to tell me you can't take my business!?! What the H377 is wrong with you? Get off my damn phone!"

I chuckled a bit, thinking how glad I was not to have this person as a client. But then I got to thinking - am I a dinosaur? Is it dumb to call people to tell them I can't take them as a client right now? Curious what y'all do.

Webster  
I always call. Never know what they might be looking for.

I suppose some people will call you a dinosaur. Others, including me, might be inclined to call you courteous. In situations like this, I always try to think what my mum might say (or not - the pursed lips silent treatment is worse than a severe telling-off).

ATSMAN  
returned a call today and when I said "I may have a colleague who can take you on...", I was interrupted with, "You called me to tell me you can't take my business!?! What the H377 is wrong with you? Get off my damn phone!"

There is no shortage of rude people! Just shake it off!.

I do the same too. I return all calls and politely decline. I do NOT give another preparers's name unless I have been specifically requested.

That's a very classy approach. That anyone would feel put out by receiving such a call is no reflection on you. I assume excellent communication is one of the cornerstones of your practice. This would simply be an extension of that dynamic.
Don't give people like that any more thought. They are clearly not in your target market.
~Captcook

CathysTaxes  
No you are not a dinosaur. He's a jerk and would be an awful client.
Cathy
CathysTaxes

Preppie wrote:Is it dumb to call people to tell them I can't take them as a client right now? Curious what y'all do.

Yes, I would call them back. It's polite and very professional. They have missed the message and cannot read your mind.

What's the alternative? Don't call them back, let them assume that's the way your firm operates, and then they leave a nasty comment online?

Maybe you can work something into your voicemail to cut down on these calls? Or do a digital directory on your main line -- i.e. "press 1 if you are not a current client and you are interested in our services" at which point they get a prerecorded message and then the call hangs up after a "thank you, goodbye"?

Sometimes it just he means he was really hoping you take him as a client.

Don't let the jerks make you second-guess your business strategy. You did the right thing.

MWEA  
I’m in the process of unloading about 100 returns that have low margins and don’t fit our long term strategy. I’m trying to do it nicely by giving people some time and even offering to refer when requested. It hasn’t been nearly as smooth as I expected.

ATSMAN  
MWEA wrote:I’m in the process of unloading about 100 returns that have low margins and don’t fit our long term strategy. I’m trying to do it nicely by giving people some time and even offering to refer when requested. It hasn’t been nearly as smooth as I expected.

When I unloaded a bunch of clients several years back that did not meet my new business plan, I gave them one full season to find someone else. So they had enough time and to be nice I gave them a free hard copy or pdf of an extra return to give to their new tax accountant.

I got some pushback but when I tried to explain it professionally. Some asked me to refer someone and I did unless the reason for offloading was payment related in which case I would not refer them to another fellow accountant.

My suggestion is stick to your business plan and let the chips fall!

+1 to all of these.

You: Maintain your high level of esteem and professionalism.

Client on phone: What a jerk. Who cares.

ATSMAN  
My son has a air horn that he keeps next to his home phone. If a telemarketer or scammer calls, he blows that and then hangs up! It is loud enough to get your ear drum popped!

belle  
ATSMAN wrote:My son has a air horn that he keeps next to his home phone. If a telemarketer or scammer calls, he blows that and then hangs up! It is loud enough to get your ear drum popped!

I use a police whistle.... it is very satisfying.

Return to Business Operations and Development