Hiring Staff

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
CP Hay  
For those of you that have staff how difficult is it to hire? Is it more difficult to hire tax help vs. bookkeepers? Have you found any differences in either role (i.e. turnover, time to hire, etc.)?

ATSMAN  
It depends on your market and the skill set that you are looking for. By tax help if you mean tax preparers (not EA or CPA) then it is relatively easier compared to the other. If you are looking for general office help (no tax prep duty) then right now with people out of work you may be in luck. I am assuming in larger cities the pool of talent is deeper than rural/semi-urban areas, but then there is generally not much turn over in rural areas generally.

Hiring is the most difficult thing to do, and it is also the most important. I suggest developing an internship program. This way, you can develop a recent graduate to become a great accountant. We use handshake to hire our interns. We use Craigslist and indeed to hire our senior CPAs and accountants. One thing I always suggest is if you can give the candidate a skills assessment test. This way, you can see how the candidate works and look at their technical abilities. And the candidate can get a feel for how your organization works as well. Good luck.

Return to Business Operations and Development