Backing up digital records to the cloud

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
I've been scanning copies of tax returns and workpapers since 2006 and keep the PDF files on external hard drives. There is the main one and two other external hard drives for repetition in case one dies. These drives are only connected to my computers when I'm scanning documents. Having them disconnected unless scanning gives me piece of mind that they can't be hacked into.

What options are there for secure storage in the cloud for digital copies of tax returns and workpapers? How safe is it from hacking? Do you also keep a copy of everything on an external hard drive?

Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.

You're keeping workpapers and engagement data from 2006 and prior? That aligns with your document retention policy?

I'm also thinking about moving some of these items to the cloud. At prior firms we used CS GoFileRoom to store copies of tax returns, notices, etc.

Currently all this information is local for me on a NAS. I may start backing up client copies of tax returns (with tax IDs masked) on the portal.

Have you guys looked at Dropbox for business??? They have the highest security protocols available.

southparkcpa wrote:Have you guys looked at Dropbox for business??? They have the highest security protocols available.

No, I have not. Can you define or post a reference for "highest security protocols available"?

Either way, I'm content with ShareFile, and the migration for me and my clients isn't something I want to take on anytime soon, especially without a compelling reason.

Return to Business Operations and Development