irs offices open

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
zl28  
anyone know if irs offices are open?

i filed a return late for a client

took her a while to review

electronically filed it on last day that could do so

now i find out its rejected

and she is applying for a mortgage.

was going to take it to an irs office and get it stamped as received by IRS

apprec if anyone has better idea

Is it even possible to hand deliver tax returns anymore?

The IRS makes no mention in their "how to file" instructions. Only efile and mail are mentioned.

zl28  
i did it once before years ago....i hand delivered a return...the IRS photocopies the front page and stamped it to acknowledge receipt

zl28 wrote:i did it once before years ago....i hand delivered a return...

Right, hence the qualifier in my question: "anymore".

I can't find any information for hand delivery on the IRS website. Most of the non-IRS website articles concerning it are over 5 years old.

The only recent one is this one: https://www.thebalance.com/tax-document ... rs-3973948

Which states the TACs are still accepting hand delivered returns under "normal circumstances", whatever that means. And walk-ins are not permitted. An appointment is needed.

If it was me, I'd call my local TAC tomorrow and ask.

zl28  
will do - thank you for looking up!

ATSMAN  
In my neck of the woods the closest IRS office is closed to public. The nearest taxpayer assistance site is 60 miles away! I believe IRS has a tool or website that you can check your nearest taxpayer assistance center.

If my nearest TAC was 60 miles away, I'd mail it certified and call it a day.

ATSMAN  
ManVsTax wrote:If my nearest TAC was 60 miles away, I'd mail it certified and call it a day.

Correct BUT sometimes taxpayers want immediate action and they don't mind driving to speak to a human that works for IRS. They are sick and tired of waiting on the phone and then get hung up!

novacpa  
ATSMAN wrote:
ManVsTax wrote:If my nearest TAC was 60 miles away, I'd mail it certified and call it a day.

Correct BUT sometimes taxpayers want immediate action and they don't mind driving to speak to a human that works for IRS. They are sick and tired of waiting on the phone and then get hung up!

That is so true - I need transcripts - the Hotline does not answer - I tried all different options - all
the recordings said, "due to high call volumes we can not accept your call, please call back later"
and then - Hung Up. I called 5/6 times same result. I was able to get a "live human" on the e-services
help desk who then forwarded a complaint.
How can we possibly get transcripts when e-services is down and the CAF Unit takes 40-days plus to
record a POA.

zl28  
isn't their a way to get a transcript w/o going thru an agent?

sjrcpa  
If your POA is in the system you can get it through eservices.

novacpa  
sjrcpa wrote:If your POA is in the system you can get it through eservices.

This is true, but if you just sent in the signed POA - it has to be "processed" by the CAF Unit and that may take (I've seen)
40+ days.
A shorter method was to call the P-Hotline, select option 4, get an Agent, get his/her fax number send the POA, have them approve it - then they sent to you or to your e-services box - the transcripts you need (up to 10).
But, it requires Agents in the Office in front of their computers answering the phones, that is not happening now.

Return to Business Operations and Development