Client requesting a copy of tax return emailed

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
I'm getting a little sick of clients requesting me to send their tax returns electronically to them. I get that they would want this, but it gets really old. Just wondering what options there are to get them this when I file the return to limit it later? I thought about giving them a flash drive, but I'm sure they would lose it and still call me. I've never used a client portal. Are portals easy for clients to use without bugging me? I just encrypt it and email, I realize that is probably not the safest.

Charge a fee for additional copies, paper or digital. That's the easiest way to get clients to suddenly find their own copies.
A lot of firms offer one copy, digital or paper, and anything additional is a charge of $25-50 for your time.

sjrcpa  
We started charging $75 last year. Has cut way down on the requests. Amazing how they can suddenly find their copies. A few have paid the fee. We waived for a few clients.

CathysTaxes  
I always keep a pdf of the Client copy. I have no problem sending an extra encrypted copy to current clients at no cost. If I suspect they went elsewhere, then I would charge. Many times clients forget a tax return when they apply for a loan.
Cathy
CathysTaxes

How do you "normally" deliver your client copy of the return? Paper copy to everyone?

If yes, some of your clients may be signaling to you that they prefer a PDF. And that might be an opportunity to save on cost and increase your processing efficiency.

jasito96 wrote:Just wondering what options there are to get them this when I file the return to limit it later? I thought about giving them a flash drive, but I'm sure they would lose it and still call me. I've never used a client portal. Are portals easy for clients to use without bugging me? I just encrypt it and email, I realize that is probably not the safest.

Not the safest, but if you must email I'd do it encrypted, with password protected PDF and masked SSNs inside the PDF.

Here's what I do...I issue client copies electronically as PDFs by default. No one has complained or asked for a paper copy instead. I have clients in their 60s and 70s and they manage and navigate the portal just as well as the "younger folks". I did create a 14 minute video tutorial for the portal that all clients have access to, so I'm sure that helps.

When an engagement is wrapped up, I upload the client copy to the client's portal and send a separate "closing email" that contains any action items. The PDF is generally available for download on the portal for anywhere between 2 and 6 months.

I do semiannual portal purges on closed engagements to enhance client data security, so the PDF eventually does "disappear" and doesn't hang around for years.

My engagement letters make it clear that I'm not a data repository, nor a backup for the client's data. Clients must download all deliverables I upload to the portal and retain them in their own records.

I'd say about 90% of my clients do download the deliverables on a timely basis, all except for the procrastinators and highly unorganized individuals.

It is a pain when a client asks for the returns after-the-fact, especially when they previously downloaded them. Basically, at that point, they're treating the firm like an administrative assistant and it is frustrating.

I treat those requests case-by-case. One client does this once or twice a year to me. Usually a bank or lender needs the return and he's not near his computer. I don't charge because I value the relationship and because he's connected and does provide a few referrals every year.

Other clients...I wouldn't be averse to charging a $50 admin fee to pull and re-upload the returns if it becomes repetitive.

CathysTaxes  
So far, everyone has been getting a paper copy. This year, for clients that don't mail me their documents, I will just send them the pdf. Last year, I did a mass mailing at the end of the extended tax season.
Cathy
CathysTaxes

ATSMAN  
You have to use your business logic with your client base. For those who don't abuse me I will gladly e-mail them a pdf of their tax return copy if requested. My default is a pdf and if they want a hardcopy I will mail one copy.

After that if they want another hard copy I use my discretion to charge for mailing and processing costs.

I have actually refused to e-mail pdfs to people who constantly lose or delete them and then ask again. They get the message after the first refusal :twisted:

I post all pdf copies of their tax returns to the Intuit secure portal , part of Proseries. In my closing letter to the client, I encourage them to download the final copy and keep it in a safe place. Who knows if the do it or not. I've only had a few clients ask for a copy. I also tell them they can use the Get Transcript tool on the IRS website.

I eliminated it by always uploading their tax returns to SmartVault. They have constant access and I definitely see clients downloading them, multiple times, throughout the year, when they would otherwise be asking me to send again.

ManVsTax - If you do everything electronic, how do you go over the tax return with the client when they come to pick up their taxes?

sjrcpa  
Who comes to pick up their taxes?

jasito96 wrote:ManVsTax - If you do everything electronic, how do you go over the tax return with the client when they come to pick up their taxes?

I upload the draft PDF to the portal, and send an email, which includes some high level bullet points that I want to call their attention to.

The client reviews at their own pace and at their own convenience.

I instruct the client to jot down all questions that pop up during the review, and to email after they're done.

Then, we schedule a "closing call" during which I discuss some things I really want them to understand about the returns and the client is free to ask any and all questions related to the returns. I often bring up planning opportunities during these calls, which helps lay the groundwork for consulting engagements during the offseason.

I view this as more efficient, and I believe the clients get a much better understanding of what's in their returns and why we're doing certain things.

No complaints yet.

Thanks for the info

Lots of stuff to agree with in this thread.

Use a portal.

Depends on the client.

Allow me to mention:

It is in my engagement agreement that I do not store a copy for them.

When I deliver the PDF, I mention that they should be very sure to download and save a copy safely - that I do not guarantee the storage of their documents.

I have admin personal up front who can do this - (but I worry that they will send the wrong version or the wrong individual entirely, which is a huge mistake, of course). So I have them set up the delivery and then ask me to check it before they send it.

ATSMAN  
I thought the regulations require us to keep a copy of the tax return we just prepared??

sjrcpa  
That's not the issue. We are required to give the client a copy of their tax return. We are not required to do it more than once.
Some of us have had clients that asked for copies 5 or 6 times.

sjrcpa wrote:That's not the issue. We are required to give the client a copy of their tax return. We are not required to do it more than once.
Some of us have had clients that asked for copies 5 or 6 times.

We are required to keep the documents for I think it is 5 years (I bump it up to 7, typically), but correct, we are only required to provide it once. Since the average client cannot heed simple directions or they forget where they saved the document, portal is best method of handling it since they can access anytime and basically anywhere.

I laugh how many times I receive notifications of same client downloading the same tax return numerous times throughout the year.

HowardS  
3 year retention period.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/26/1.6107-1

I get about a half dozen requests per year for copies and freely provide them...it takes 5 minutes and is good for client relations.
Retired, no salvage value.

Return to Business Operations and Development